Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Ok, thank you.

I see AT&T updated their coverage map as of 04/02/13 but it doesnt show the new 4G data coverage in Gladstone/Escanaba. Unless they are wating until they are done ugrading all their towers in the U.P. before adding the new coverage areas?

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

When Gaylord got 4G last year, I think it took two months or so before it showed up on the map. But I will say I have seen new coverage appear on there without the date changing so it could appear anytime. It will be nice to see as Alpena and possibly Cheboygan, Escanaba/Gladstone, and hopefully many more areas will turn darker blue.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Ok, thank you.

I just saw this via AT&T on Twitter: 

AT&T activates its 4G LTE network in some new cities, names many more that'll go live this summer.

Time for another AT&T 4G LTE network expansion. This morning, AT&T announced that its LTE service is now available in a handful of new markets that are peppered across the U.S., including Kalamazoo, Mich., Rocky Mount, N.C., and Santa Rosa-Petaluma, Calif. AT&T has also expanded some of its existing coverage in other markets, bringing more LTE service to places like Greensboro, N.C., and the San Francisco Bay Area.

There's also some good news this morning for AT&T customers that are still without access to Big Blue's 4G LTE network. AT&T has named a long list of cities (all in separate announcements) that will be gaining LTE coverage this summer. There are quite a few towns that'll be joining Club AT&T LTE this summer, including Cape Cod, Mass., Davenport, Iowa, and Salem, Ore. The full lists of AT&T's new, expanded and upcoming are all available at the bottom of this post.

AT&T has said in the past that it plans to cover 250 million people with its LTE network by the time that 2013 comes to an end, and with today's lengthy list of markets that'll be going live in the summer, it looks like the carrier is pushing hard to reach that goal. It's not clear exactly when each city will be going live, but at least AT&T customers in those locales now know that their own taste of 4G LTE goodness is getting close. Stay tuned and we'll give you a shout once AT&T starts flipping its switches.

Here are the cites in Michigan:

New markets:

Kalamazoo, Mich.

Markets coming this summer:

Flint, Mich.

Lansing, Mich.

Muskegon, Mich.

Saginaw, Mich.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

What happens when you can see the AT&T tower five miles away, and then look at your phone and you have no data signal? Not even an Edge signal. That's what is going on in the eastern UP.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

That could be a great thing as they might be upgrading or testing. Now is there a series of antennas, usually 2 side by side every 120 degrees or does it have the tall whip style antennas?

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T has announced it is bringing LTE to Flint and Saginaw by the end of summer. What good is it if you drop to EDGE north of Saginaw?? They can't compete with Verizon for statewide LTE coverage so they should be aggressively working on HSPA+ 21. I have noticed a lot of their towers in northern Michigan have newer antennas capable of 3G/H+ but continue to broadcast the dreaded "E"

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

I think a better assessment can be made by year-end 2013. By then, both Verizon and ATT will have the state of Michigan covered with 4G or 4G LTE. In the eastern UP, they have told us that we will have 4G by June 29. Verizon is also upgrading to something around here that is going to expand their coverage. If ATT is going to compete in Michigan, they had better be moving fast. I know many people in the Saginaw area, and all of them are with Verizon since Big Red was the first to have 4G LTE coverage. It'a all a matter of who has the best coverage.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T updated their coverage map 04/10/13, still not showing 4G in Gladstone. I wonder if they will wait to add the new areas in the U.P. until they are finshied upgrading all their towers? At least people have been doing a good job updating the coverage map on Sensorly.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

I would not believe Att coverage maps. Around here, it shows solid 4g. I rarely ever see a 4g signal. In fact, the intersection of Hwy 129 and 48 shows 4g, and you can't even get a cell signal there.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

They don't update their hspa+ coverage very often as Alpena isn't showing either. Their priority is updating their LTE coverage.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.