Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Explorer

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Message 1 of 722 (44,085 Views)
Scholar

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Lol Lewyman, in AT&T's case it is probably just a network problem in Gaylord. They won't be testing LTE there for a long time. I see a little blob of Verizon LTE somewhat near Gaylord on Sensorly. They should be turning on the entire Gaylord area very shortly. 

Message 181 of 722 (15,703 Views)
Scholar

I have heard some rumblings that HSPA+ may be active in the Cheboygan area.
Message 182 of 722 (15,700 Views)
Scholar

If Sprint has LTE coverage popping up in northern Michigan, then AT&T should have the same or more spectrum shouldn't they? Or is Sprint deploying LTE on another band other than 700MHz? Spotted that little bit of coverage northwest of Gaylord but it is in the extended area on Verizon's coverage map. I mapped Verizon 4G on 75 up to around the 197 mile marker. On the return trip the signal was on and off so they must be still testing.
Message 183 of 722 (15,689 Views)
Scholar

@Tpeltz

Went by Big Red's tower in Lewwy today and guess what I saw sitting at the base station?? Here is a clueSmiley Very Happy

Message 184 of 722 (15,688 Views)
Scholar

Sprint uses 800Mhz and 1900Mhz for LTE. 

Looks like Lewwy is going to get some LTE love very soon. Those are three brand 700Mhz antennas. 

Message 185 of 722 (15,670 Views)
Scholar

I drove by there this morning and was disappointed that there was nothing new but something caught my eye. Put it in reverse and low and beholdSmiley Happy Glad I had my camera. Looks like it is going to happenSmiley HappySmiley Happy
Message 186 of 722 (15,661 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a question. Since Gladstone and Escanaba have HSPA+ 4G now, when the time comes when we get 4G LTE does AT&T have to add new equipment to the towers for LTE or is it as simple as "flipping the switch"?

Message 187 of 722 (15,638 Views)
Scholar

AT&T will need to add more antennas to the cell sites that are currently HSPA+ only, since their LTE network runs on different frequencies than HSPA+. But in order to launch LTE in northern MI (including the U.P), AT&T needs to aquire more spectrum for LTE or wait a while until hardware manufacturers can create radio baseband processors that can handle LTE on 700/800/1900/1700/2100Mhz bands

Message 188 of 722 (15,627 Views)

Ah ok, thank you for the info. What do LTE antennas look like?

Message 189 of 722 (15,620 Views)
Scholar

The LTE antennas looks extremely similar to HSPA+ antennas in AT&T's case. The LTE antennas may be a few inches longer than the (850Mhz) HSPA+ antennas. Other than that, it is hard to tell with AT&T.
Message 190 of 722 (15,610 Views)
Scholar

@Tpeltz
You have more knowledge of spectrum than I do so I will ask a question. We know AT&T currently doesn't have the needed paired 700 Mhz spectrum to launch LTE in northern Mi but from what I gather they do own a lot of AWS spectrum statewide. Could AT&T use strictly that spectrum to launch LTE/LTE-A instead of using 700??
Message 191 of 722 (15,600 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Ok, thank you.

I see AT&T updated their coverage map as of 04/02/13 but it doesnt show the new 4G data coverage in Gladstone/Escanaba. Unless they are wating until they are done ugrading all their towers in the U.P. before adding the new coverage areas?

Message 192 of 722 (15,577 Views)
Scholar

When Gaylord got 4G last year, I think it took two months or so before it showed up on the map. But I will say I have seen new coverage appear on there without the date changing so it could appear anytime. It will be nice to see as Alpena and possibly Cheboygan, Escanaba/Gladstone, and hopefully many more areas will turn darker blue.
Message 193 of 722 (15,567 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ok, thank you.

I just saw this via AT&T on Twitter: 

AT&T activates its 4G LTE network in some new cities, names many more that'll go live this summer.

Time for another AT&T 4G LTE network expansion. This morning, AT&T announced that its LTE service is now available in a handful of new markets that are peppered across the U.S., including Kalamazoo, Mich., Rocky Mount, N.C., and Santa Rosa-Petaluma, Calif. AT&T has also expanded some of its existing coverage in other markets, bringing more LTE service to places like Greensboro, N.C., and the San Francisco Bay Area.

There's also some good news this morning for AT&T customers that are still without access to Big Blue's 4G LTE network. AT&T has named a long list of cities (all in separate announcements) that will be gaining LTE coverage this summer. There are quite a few towns that'll be joining Club AT&T LTE this summer, including Cape Cod, Mass., Davenport, Iowa, and Salem, Ore. The full lists of AT&T's new, expanded and upcoming are all available at the bottom of this post.

AT&T has said in the past that it plans to cover 250 million people with its LTE network by the time that 2013 comes to an end, and with today's lengthy list of markets that'll be going live in the summer, it looks like the carrier is pushing hard to reach that goal. It's not clear exactly when each city will be going live, but at least AT&T customers in those locales now know that their own taste of 4G LTE goodness is getting close. Stay tuned and we'll give you a shout once AT&T starts flipping its switches.

Here are the cites in Michigan:

New markets:

Kalamazoo, Mich.

Markets coming this summer:

Flint, Mich.

Lansing, Mich.

Muskegon, Mich.

Saginaw, Mich.

Message 194 of 722 (15,515 Views)
Scholar

What happens when you can see the AT&T tower five miles away, and then look at your phone and you have no data signal? Not even an Edge signal. That's what is going on in the eastern UP.

Message 195 of 722 (15,486 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.