Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Awesome. I hope they continue to upgrade until their entire EDGE network is GONE!!!!!!!  Hopefully in the next few years when AT&T starts refarming their spectrum, they will be able to deploy LTE statewide. They don't currently have the spectrum to deploy it now, but HSPA+ is pretty fast. I would like to know if AT&T is deploying HSPA+14 or 21 in the new markets it is upgrading in northern Mi. 

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

I hope they are getting rid of the Edge network too. I'll let you know if I get 4G (well 3G + lol)around here as I'm still on Edge where I live.

I took some screenshots and some speedtests:

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

It appears the network is HSPA+14 and the speedtest results are decent for sure. Seems to be in line with the speeds I tested in Gaylord and Alpena this past weekend. Hopefully you will have service at your house soon.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Oh ok cool. Finally happy to have something other than Edge when in town. It's about time since Verizon has had 3G up here for the longest time, then in Jan this year Verizon updated to the full 4G LTE( there was a big story on the local news here about). Took AT&T long enough. Lol I'm hoping since they updated the towers in Gladstone/Escanaba that means they will be upgrading more towers now and not just stop there then come back months later for the others.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T has stated that it will have its ENTIRE network upgraded to "4G" by the end of 2013 as will Verizon. Awesome!!

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Nice! great news!

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

Glad to hear that AT&T is activating more HSPA+ in the U.P! 

Lewyman, do you have a link to the AT&T 4G by end of 2013 article? 

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Tpeltz
I have an AT&T hotspot and when I called to complain about ZERO connectivity on EDGE in Lewiston, they bumped me up tier 2 CS. I was told they are aggressively upgrading their network and plan to have their entire EDGE footprint upgraded to HSPA+ by the end of 2013. I don't really believe that but that's what the guy told me.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Was in Gaylord today and tried to use my AT&T Mifi Liberate but couldn't. 4G service was just horrible as I couldn't use it at all. Very high pings and EDGE like speeds when it would connect. Does the quirky data mean LTE is being tested???HaHa!!!!  New Sprint LTE has popped up on Sensorly along  I-75 just a bit south of Otsego Lake.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

Lol Lewyman, in AT&T's case it is probably just a network problem in Gaylord. They won't be testing LTE there for a long time. I see a little blob of Verizon LTE somewhat near Gaylord on Sensorly. They should be turning on the entire Gaylord area very shortly. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.