Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Explorer

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Message 1 of 722 (44,129 Views)
Scholar

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

@JREwing53
Verizon and AT&T expansions in what way?? New towers?? That would be very good. In this day and age seeing those towers isn't a culture shock anymore but rather a necessity in everyday life and I think all the Telco' s should pool their investments together and construct new towers in many needed areas that way everyone would benefit. AT&T has lost a lot of wireless customers and I think they going to start ramping up their network upgrades this year.
Message 151 of 722 (15,290 Views)
Explorer

JRE....No 4G in Gaylord? They have had '4G' service there for several months now....??

Message 152 of 722 (15,281 Views)
Scholar

I said it was Edge from "just south of" Gaylord to "just north" of Bay City. Yes, Gaylord has had 4G for some time now.

Message 153 of 722 (15,275 Views)
Explorer

Oops...duh.....my brain is on 'edge'...  Smiley Frustrated

Message 154 of 722 (15,196 Views)
Explorer

I just drove back from Gaylord to Alpena and it looks like the fiber crew is laying fiber about 10 miles outside of Alpena, between Alpena and Hillman.  Hopefully they are on schedule to have 4G enabled in Alpena before I'm too old and feeble to use a phone!  Smiley LOL

Message 155 of 722 (15,091 Views)
Scholar

Mjtom -

That is the Merit fiber project along M-32. Won't do any good for AT&T. Don't shoot the messenger lol.
Message 156 of 722 (15,082 Views)
Explorer

Oh great....thanks Tpeltz......I should have known!  Smiley Mad

Message 157 of 722 (15,076 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

AT&T has activated UMTS/HSPA+ "4G" in the Alpena area as of this morning (3/29/2013).

Message 158 of 722 (15,054 Views)
Explorer

HOOORAY!!!  I feel foolish for being so giddy over such a little thing, but this has been a long time coming!  I just realized it on my way back from lunch when I went to access the Tiger game.  FINALLY!!!

Message 159 of 722 (15,050 Views)
Scholar

Awesome. Now for the rest of Michigan!!!
Message 160 of 722 (15,030 Views)

Can anyone confirm if Escanaba got 4G today? My friend sent me a text asking me if AT&T has 4G in Escanaba? I told him I heard at the end of June is what I heard. He just sent me a text back saying it now says "4G" on his phone. o_0

Message 161 of 722 (14,997 Views)
Scholar

I believe Alpena,Mi was supposed to get 4G in June but it went live Friday so it is possible. Ask your friend to send you a screenshot of their phone or map some coverage on Sensorly. However, Sensorly considers HSPA+(4G) to be 3G.
Message 162 of 722 (14,979 Views)

[ Edited ]

My friend just sent me a screenshot. He said he's getting 4G in Perkins now.

Message 163 of 722 (14,946 Views)
Scholar

Tight !!! That is AWESOME!!!   It looks like AT&T is taking northern Michigan more seriously now!! With Tpeltz reporting 4G near Onaway, Alpena, and you now saying Escanaba is live....can't wait to see the new coverage map.

Message 164 of 722 (14,926 Views)

They have a tower in mc farland so I hope they upgrade that one next because that's the one I'm closest to. When I turn off wifi on my phone it still says E. I'll be headed to Gladstone tomorrow so I should be able to test the 4G then.
Message 165 of 722 (14,921 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.