Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Explorer

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Message 1 of 722 (43,736 Views)
Scholar

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

@Mjrtom7
That is some good news and it sounds like AT&T is trying to keep their customers happy. You know that Verizon has 4G LTE live in and around Alpena?? OK....basically what AT&T considers "4G" is essentially what the 3G standard should be, unless they specify LTE......and Alpena will not be getting AT&T LTE sorry to say. The thing that sucks is they need to keep expanding. Take Gaylord for example....it has 4G(H+) but they have not continued to expand so if you go south or east you fall back to EDGE. They are focusing more on the western part of the state and will eventually upgrade northeast Mi but its going to be a while. They did announce at the end of last year that they will be investing something like 2 billion in Michigan the next couple of years. So that is a huge shot in the arm and lets hope this year they start kickin it!!
Message 106 of 722 (16,338 Views)
Explorer

I hear ya @Lewyman....I know the big V has had great cell service here for awhile.  At least I'll be able to pull up a web page or a map on my phone without having to sit there and swear at the screen while it spins and loads.  Most of my Google searches are returned with "try again", and using apps like AtBat for baseball games, or Pandora for music....it simply won't work.  

Any upgrade will be a welcome one...

Message 107 of 722 (16,293 Views)
Scholar

Traveling to northern Mi tonight. Confirmed Verizon LTE on northbound M-33 at M-55. Possibly from West Branch.
Message 108 of 722 (16,189 Views)
Master

I was at G's Pizzeria in Prudenville/Houghton lake on Saturday night and overheard a woman complaining about her service. All I could catch was "AT&T's service isn't as good up here..." Looked at my phone, and there were 3 bars of EDGE. Not completely horrible, but not completely satisfactory, either.

I would assume that she lives somewhere in lower Michigan where the service is at least running on the 3G network.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 109 of 722 (16,128 Views)
Scholar

Well Big Red has LTE service in Alpena and West Branch now and announced a few days ago that Skidway Lake, Rose City, and other areas will soon have 4G service. AT&T hasn't done anything since upgrading the Soo,along I-75 to the Big Mac, and the Gaylord areas last year. What in the world have they been doing?? Their retail stores have to be closing left and right in northern Mi. The one in Lewiston was an independent store and was telling people that there would be 3G up there by the end of 2008. Well that's what AT&T told them and it didn't happen and its a shame because they closed a few years ago.
Message 110 of 722 (15,812 Views)

I hope Escanaba, MI gets 3G/4G soon. Verizon has had it for a while now. I got an email the other day from AT&T saying 4G is avavliable on my network but, it said 4G is now avavliable in Detroit but, I don't live in Detroit. lol I live in the Upper Peninsula. Just a few minutes ago I got a text message from AT&T telling me how to turn on 3G on my phone. So I dont know if that means 3G/4G is coming to Excanaba soon?

Message 111 of 722 (15,672 Views)
Scholar

I wish I would get a text message from AT&T. Nothing here yet in the eastern UP.
Message 112 of 722 (15,655 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

If AT&T activates 3G/4G(HSPA+) in your area your phone should automatically switch, but it wouldn't hurt to restart your phone now and then. Sometimes a restart is needed if they have just turned on service, as was the case in Gaylord after it first went live. Hope you guys get it soon up there....EDGE is terrible as you know!!

Message 113 of 722 (15,649 Views)
Scholar

Verizon LTE speedtest result from Imlay City, MI

Message 114 of 722 (15,644 Views)
Scholar

Just checking on the website: sensorly.com which maps people's data network type on their phones. It appears that Sprint 4G LTE is live in many areas of southern Michigan, many more areas than AT&T.

Message 115 of 722 (15,629 Views)

I turned my phone off then on again just to see I had 3G but I dont. Nothing here in the central U.P. Smiley Sad

Message 116 of 722 (15,573 Views)
Scholar

That's too bad. AT&T does have better coverage in the U.P. and northeast Mi, just a shame they aren' t moving faster to upgrade their network. I would guess that AT&T is going to be hitting northern Mi harder this year and hopefully soon you will get 3/4G.
Message 117 of 722 (15,563 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yeah it sucks. Would calling AT&T and asking them if 3/4G they are going to be expanding their 3/4G coverage in the U.P. help? There is an AT&T store in Escanaba, think they would know anything?

Message 118 of 722 (15,538 Views)
Scholar

AT&T customer service knows literally nothing about 3G/"4G" expansions. I tried we'll over 20 times during my term with AT&T and gained absolutely nothing. Corporate retail stores also have no information and will just tell you anything to get you to buy a device.

You're best bet would be to email AT&T's midwest corporate offices.
Message 119 of 722 (15,524 Views)
Scholar

No. Like Tpeltz stated the retail stores don't have access to that information. They have been telling people that 3G was coming to northern Mi since 2008. I switched to Verizon a few months ago and haven't regretted it. They have 4G LTE in Escanaba. Hope your service is upgraded this year.
Message 120 of 722 (15,522 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.