Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

Explorer

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Message 1 of 722 (44,135 Views)
Explorer

Re: Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

What is wrong with AT&T ,  Verizon has had 3G in Alpena for at least 2 years and now has LTE today and AT&T still has 2G or edge.

Did they just concede this area to Verizon???  I used to be loyal to AT&T but this is just getting ridiculus.

Wake up or lose.

Randy

Message 61 of 722 (16,064 Views)
Scholar

They haven't invested in their network and backhaul in northern MI for the most part. Therefore, some areas are now 2 generations behind in cellular technology. Are you sure Alpena now has usable, active Verizon 4G LTE? I was just there a few days ago and did not see LTE on my iPhone 5. 

Message 62 of 722 (16,049 Views)
Scholar

Verizon 4G LTE is online in the Alpena, MI area, which I have confirmed with a few people in the area. 

Message 63 of 722 (16,041 Views)
Scholar

Verizon LTE is live in Alpena? Are you guys serious??? Still waiting for AT&T LTE here in Romeo/Almont!!!! Coverage stops 8 miles south of me. Big Red LTE coverage has been here at my house and when it goes live in Gaylord/Lewiston I am switching.
Message 64 of 722 (16,027 Views)
Scholar

Lol yes! Verizon LTE live at Alpena! I know it sounds far too good to be true, but believe it. It is there. Supposedly Rogers City is going live in a week or two. 

Message 65 of 722 (16,018 Views)
Scholar

@Tpeltz
It isn't officially cool until you run a speedtest.

Message 66 of 722 (16,017 Views)
Scholar

@Lewyman

LOL. I will be sure to run a few speed test when I go there and I'll post them on here.
Message 67 of 722 (16,017 Views)
Scholar

In the Eastern UP, you can't run speedtests on AT&T.  The Edge data network is too slow to run the test.

Message 68 of 722 (16,006 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Well I was down at Costco this evening in Shelby Township and AT&T's LTE was running pretty good. This is a screenshot saved on my Samsung GS3 and I was out of the LTE coverage area when I sent it.

Message 69 of 722 (16,008 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Here is our horrbly slow speeds here in the Eastern UP.  As you can see, this has to be embarrasing for AT&T.

Basically everyone should forget about an AT&T smartphone living up here.

Message 70 of 722 (15,878 Views)
Explorer

I think I got you beat in Alpena

Randy

Test Date: Dec 24, 2012 11:48 PM
Connection Type: Cellular
Server: Mount Pleasant, MI
Download: 0.01 Mbps
Upload: 0.01 Mbps
Ping: 341 ms

Message 71 of 722 (15,867 Views)
Scholar

Those two speedtests are horrible. When I'm in Lewiston my browser won't even load to run a speedtest. If AT&T would have truly started upgrading their entire network to HSPA+ 21 when Verizon started rolling out LTE, all of Michigan would be upgraded by now. Sad!
Message 72 of 722 (15,845 Views)
Master

I guess there's a reason why most people here in Bay City and the state of Michigan for that matter rely on Verizon Wireless for their cellular needs...

My plan is worth it, though!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 73 of 722 (15,822 Views)
Explorer

[ Edited ]

I see that Verizon in Alpena now has 4G LTE service......I found out by reading it on my laptop in my office....BECAUSE MY PHONE WOULDN'T EVEN OPEN UP A PAGE ON MY BROWSER DUE TO {word filter evasion} EDGE NETWORK IN THE AREA!!!

Message 74 of 722 (15,770 Views)
Scholar

That is really pathetic on ATT's part.  I just don't know what they are thinking.

AT&T had better be laying some high speed cable dang fast in 2013, and converting a lot of towers, or else they will be history up here in the UP.

Message 75 of 722 (15,741 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.