Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Verizon has expanded its LTE coverage in southeast Mi again and full coverage now from Detroit north all the way to just south of Marlette and there is a new unmentioned market in the western U.P. that is now live. Looks like the Ironwood area. AT&T......you better get a move on!!!!!!

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

Well here it is almost Christmas and no new 3G/4G coverage in northeast Mi. Very disappointing AT&T!! It seems now they are working more on their Lte network than getting nationwide HSPA+ coverage. Verizon has another huge Lte expansion coming tomorrow and Petoskey is supposed to get it by the end of the year. If AT&T doesn't improve coverage in N.E. Mi by spring, I am going to think about switching to Big Red.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

Well, its the end of the year here in the eastern upper peninsula of Michigan, and no 3G.  Our good old Cedarville tower is still on Edge, and our smartphones are expensive paperweights around here.

People around here are switching to Big Red at a rapid rate.  Seems like every day I run into someone who has a new Verizon phone. All it takes is converting the tower and AT&T can keep thousands of customers.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah not much AT&T progress at all. I didn't see any work on the towers in my area at all. On the other hand, Verizon just lit up LTE basically throughout all of the NW lower peninsula this morning. Check it out. THIS is progress. 

Screen Shot 2012-12-20 at 9.19.06 AM.png

1 Attachment

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

@ Tpeltz
Yes it is impressive. I can't believe Verizon hasn't turned on any towers in your area yet. Northeast Mi is just as populated as the northwest. When you switched to Verizon did you get Lte phones? In my area(Almont, Imlay City) Lte went live a few weeks before they announced it so if Verizon is going to have statewide coverage by the middle of next year I would bet you will see towers lighting up on a regular basis after the first of the year.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

@Lewyman 

They are turning on the Alpena market during Q1 of 2013. I upgraded to the iPhone 5, so I'll be able to harness the power of LTE once it goes live 🙂 

They just finished up running fiber to all their cell sites in my area. I talked to a tech and he said that they are testing the LTE coverage, so some of it is already active (just not usable by customers). 

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

@ Tpeltz
Very nice indeed! I would imagine with the amount of 3G coverage left they will be turning on larger areas when they expand next year and hopefully they will start putting up mono towers to fill in the areas of no coverage. I am disappointed in AT&T. I thought for sure they were going to aggresively expand hspa+ by the end of this year. Let us know if you see the LTE icon light up on your phone .The Lewiston tower still has the older arrays on it as of three weeks ago:(

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

I called AT&T and submitted a "network report", or whatever you call it about a month ago.  I doubt whether it will do any good.

I've talked to many people who got free Microcell's, including me.

If I dare hear of Verizon LTE in my area, I'm paying the etf and going red.

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

@JREwing53

Verizon expanded their LTE network today and Petoskey and Charlevoix now have coverage. There is extended LTE coverage up to the Mackinac Bridge including the southern tip of the Upper at the north end of the bridge. Also 1/3 of Mackinac Island has extended 4G coverage on the southern and western shoreline. Looking at Verizon's 3G map, their coverage is sparce in your area of Cedarville. In my opinion, that is the only downfall of Verizon is they have too many areas of non-coverage in the U.P. and the northern lower compared to AT&T's EDGE network. But then again the EDGE speeds are useless for anykind of surfing or sending pics but the only advantage AT&T has is they have more voice coverage. I said it before, if AT&T would upgrade their entire EDGE network to HSPA+ 21, they wouldn't have to worry so much about getting LTE rolled out and they wouldn't be losing customers at fast rate. But what do we know, we are just unhappy customers!  

Explorer

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

What is wrong with AT&T ,  Verizon has had 3G in Alpena for at least 2 years and now has LTE today and AT&T still has 2G or edge.

Did they just concede this area to Verizon???  I used to be loyal to AT&T but this is just getting ridiculus.

Wake up or lose.

Randy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.