Check for service outages
Mjrtom7's profile

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

Wednesday, September 19th, 2012 6:57 PM

Closed

Will Northeast MI ever receive 3G?

I've heard talk about how ATT is "working on their network coverage" and plans to provide 3G service in Northeast MI "in the coming months".  Well, now that another 2 year contract has expired, I'm seriously wondering if I would be better off jumping to Verizon.  The EDGE data network up here if virtually useless.  5 full bars, yet extremely poor data transfer.  

Can anyone provide an HONEST answer as to when this coverage is planned to be upgraded???  Verizon has had 3G for quite a long while up here...

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

Once you get northeast of the Mackinac Bridge, you will enjoy that [word filter avoidance] At&T Edge coverage. I have a 4G OneX device, and it's basically worthless around here.  It's 2012, not 1999.  I'm not sure that At&T understands that yet. The Verizon people just laugh at me when I tell them which carrier I'm with.

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

They updated the map again. Only showing Gaylord area with 3G/HSPA+.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

I just looked at these "updated" maps.  There is no way that there is that much 4G coverage in my area, which is NE of the Macknac Bridge. I drive every day down Hwy 129 and I can't get a signal, let alone 4G reception in many of these new areas they are claiming 4G coverage.

My town of Pickford is supposedly surrounded by 4G according to the map.  At least they got my hometown right; only Edge coverage here.  Again, this is 2012, not 1999 AT&T.  

Scholar

• 

391 Messages

11 years ago

JREwing53

Stop in one of those areas and reboot your phone. I had to in Gaylord a few weeks ago because my was stuck on EDGE around Otsego Lake. With the latest updated map there is new 3G/H+ coverage over by Lake Michigan in the circle. Also there is new coverage in the thumb which is now 2/3 covered plus Gaylord. The Gaylord coverage I dont agree with. When leaving Lewiston and taking 612 to Meridian Line Rd to Old State Rd, my phone switches to 4G about two miles after turning and heading west on Old State. According to the coverage map that area should be solid EDGE so it I guess it varies. But....there is new coverage just not northeast!!!

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

11 years ago

Not that it would do any good...but I've decided to write a letter to the CEO of ATT.  I'll post a copy once I'm done (whenever that might be).  If interested, you can do the same.  Here is a list of CEO's

http://ceoemail.com/us-companies.php

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

I just made a trip to Escanaba from my hometown of Pickford, Michigan.  I was astonished that Escanaba, Gladstone, and Manistique is still on Edge.  I can't believe this.  

And when it comes to the new At&t data coverage maps, don't believe it.  Example: It shows 4G coverage for about six miles south of Pickford. I can pick up about one mile of 4G coverage with my One X.  

And the Cedarville tower is still on Edge.

When is At&t going to get into the 21st century?

Scholar

• 

136 Messages

11 years ago

http://http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/08/verizons-4g-lte-to-match-their-3g-footprint-by-mid-2013-half-a-year-earlier-than-projected/ 

AT&T customers currently on EDGE where Verizon has 3G (about 99% of their network)......here is your sign. Verizon is serious about getting LTE completely rolled out. 

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately, I see no evidence that AT&T is serious about bringing even 3G to the eastern Upper Peninsula.  We are still on Edge here, and out smartphones are basically worthless.  Several of my friends have Verizon and are excited about getting 4G LTE here next year. I want to stay with AT&T, but they need to get their act together around here fast.

Professor

• 

827 Messages

11 years ago

AT&T has '4g' in the eastern UP - St. Ignace through Sault Ste. Marie on i-75 only.

I'd like to see if on Drummond Island.

Scholar

• 

173 Messages

11 years ago

I just wish someone would tell me when the Cedarville tower is going to be switched to a 4G tower.  We are almost to the end of the year, and still Edge coverage.  Totally unacceptable.  

Does the Cedarville tower reach Drummond Island?  Or is there one more tower on or near Drummond Island?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.