Check for service outages
opto_isolator's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, January 20th, 2015 11:44 PM

Why is my LTE speed so very slow?

I'm really starting to regret going with AT&T as my wireless carrier! I work in a tech / college corridor, and used to get super fast LTE speeds while at work - upwards of 40 Mbs! Nowadays I can't even crack .5 Mbs!!! I've verified that it is not my phone, as I have another AT&T phone for work, and it gets the exact same speeds. I've tried to submit multiple tickets through the AT&T mark the spot app, but that does nothing. I've called and complained in the past, and that also does nothing. My signal strength is relatively good for LTE - about -100 db. But I can never crack more than 1 Mbs it seems.... Short of jumping ship once my wife's contact expires, I'm at my wits end as to what to do!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

Is your data throttled on an unlimited plan?

• 

1 Message

I contacted AT&T after they upgraded their software to 4G in my area due to loss of 2 bars on my 3G flip phone.

They said that the software upgrade made 3G slower and offered to sell me a mini-tower that I plugged into my internet for about $150.

They said a lot of people in my area had to get these mini-towers to maintain older phone (3G) connections.

I asked to speak to customer retention, explained what I was told and they shipped me that mini-tower that broadcasts the wireless signal thru my internet connection.

Now I have full bars.

I just happened to get a representative that told me the truth about my connection problem and AT&T's issue with 3G after they upgraded their software.

Mike in Dallas

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hey there @opto_isolator

I’d be happy to help with your LTE data speeds! As @lizdance40 has asked, if you are on an Unlimited Data plan, speeds on LTE may be reduced once 5GB of usage has been accrued. Speeds return to normal at the beginning of the next billing cycle. To check your usage, dial *3282# to have a text with usage details sent to your device, or check online using att.com or the myAT&T app!

If your speeds do not return to normal with the start of the bill cycle, or you are experiencing slow speeds whilst under 5GB of usage/not on an unlimited plan, please send me a Private Message with the following information:

• Cell and/or account number
  • Full name
  • Email address
  • Cell number affected
  • Signal strength
  • Recent data speeds

If this helps, please mark this answer as an accepted solution!

Thanks,

Charise

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I'm a longtime ATT customer and have an iPhone 6. I deliver pizza in the Alafaya and colonial UCF area. Myself and several other ATT users with smartphones have noticed that our LTE data was super slow. In fact I've had to switch to 4G which is actually faster in this area!!!!! Once away from the UCF area my LTE is fast again. THIS IS 100% A PROBLEM WITH ATT'S NETWORK! Customer service has no clue and it's been going on for weeks without resolution. Thank God we have Internet forums so we can see other people having the same exact issues or I'm sure ATT would try to blame it on our phones.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Something is wrong with AT&T's network in Orlando in general.  I used to get 40-50 Mbs downlink speed in the UCFarea a few years ago - now its utterly horrible!!!  I've sent the @ATTCares Twitter account multiple direct messages and every time, a different person responds with no assistance whatsoever.  I am getting VERY tired of dealing with this crappy service for what we pay, and am considering jumping to Verizon - who I KNOW has FAST and reliable service in the Orlando area!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I live in Orlando and I have the exact same problems. I'm not on an unlimited plan. My wife and I have a data plan with 10GB's. Super slow download speeds. I typically get less than 1MB when using Speedtest or other similar apps on my iPhone 6. I know several other people with the exact same issue. We live in Gotha but frequent Orlando, Ocoee, Winter Garden, and Windermere. Don't have this issue in South Florida or Tampa. May need to switch to VzW.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

I had AT&T look into my issues.  Their offical response was that the network was crowded.  They unoffically were admitting that they cannot handle the capacity and cannot provide the bandwidth.  When I'm at work, I force my phone to 3G mode, just so I can browse the internet.  I'm guessing that since everyone is on 4G now, 3G is much less crowded.

I asked them if they had any plans to upgrade their system to accommodate the additoinal demand - and was basically told no.  Since I am paying for service I can't use (4G is basically unusable other than making phone calls and recieving texts), my wife and I are going to switch to Verizon.  I've been a business customer with AT&T for awhile - apparently they care to receive my money, but that's about it.

My father in law has Verizon in Orlando, and his speed test results are showing 50+ Mbit/s speeds - insanely fast, compared to my paultry <1 Mbit/s.

Professor

• 

827 Messages

9 years ago

Its no better out here in Southern California.  I used to get +60Mbps down, 20Mbps up on my Samsung SGIII.  Now on my SGIII and my work iPhone 6 I'm maxing at 5 down and 10Mbps up.  I may have to port my lines if this keeps up.  I actually get better speeds when I'm not running LTE and only using 4G.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I left T - mobile and joined ATT as their download speeds c were super fast..I was a believer..now the download speeds are a snail pace less then 1mb. It's like they threw the throttle on. I am disappointed on the downloads and now considering changing carriers..Please help

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

I dumped AT&T and am now flying with Verizon. Speed tests show over
20-30 Mb, upwards of 50 in some areas in Orlando. Screw AT&T and their
lies about "signal strength." That doesn't mean squat - if you don't
have any bandwidth, signal strength doesn't mean anything.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Same here..its getting annoying now. Imma switch to verizon. Im just wasting my money with att.bad service
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.