Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why are Telcel and Movistar’s internet connection slow when roaming in Mexico?

Highlighted
Contributor

Why are Telcel and Movistar’s internet connection slow when roaming in Mexico?

I traveled to Mexico earlier this year, Guadalajara area. When I landed, my iphone (XR) connected to TELCEL and calls and text worked fine but the internet speed was 2G speeds. I rebooted my phone several times to try and get it to connect to the AT&T Mexico network as there is no Network Selection menu anymore. Once it connected, I noticed that it was still 2G speeds but every once in a while I would get 75mbps down. Why is this and can this be resolved?

I called AT&T to see if they can add the Network Selection menu to my device as the AT&T signal was very spotty and TELCEL had the best signal in the are. They did add it to my phone and I tried both TELCEL and Movistar but the speeds were still 2G. Is this due to the fact that they are competiters? And when did this come into affect because I remember TELCEL working 100% fine?

Message 1 of 2
ACE - Expert

Re: Why are Telcel and Movistar’s internet connection slow when roaming in Mexico?

There really is no answer to your question that ATT can provide. As far as data speeds are considered, you get what you get when connected to a foreign carrier. Only that foreign carrier can answer why you only got 2G speeds.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 2
Share this topic
Share this topic
Talk & text around the world. View International Options Help!
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support