For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
LyndaAnn's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, April 9th, 2013 7:48 PM

Closed

Unlocked Phone APN Settings

Hello! I'm new to the community, and wanted to share something I recently learned: yes, unlocked phones, internation versions or domestic versions, CAN use AT&T mobile networks here in the US.

Some misinformation is out there, and I'd like to help get everyone connected!

1) If you have an "i" on the model of your phone, it means "international." That means it can be used anywhere, US, Europe, Asia, etc.  It DOES NOT mean it can only be used outside the US.  I have a Sony Xperia Pro, MK16i, I live in Virginia, and I just connected to the AT&T network. It is, however, a quad-bandwidth phone that supports 850MHz/1900MHz, which are the bandwidths used in the US. Your phone must be able to support these bandwidths to work in the US.

2) Unlocked phones do not have the APN settings auto-filled.  That makes sense, the manufacturer doesn't know what service provider you want to connect to!  But, here is the caveat: the service providers you call for customer support or tech support don't usually know the settings, because their phones come pre-loaded with APN settings on their in-store models. Calling them won't help you, but these numbers might:

Programming non-AT&T devices with the correct APN and MMS data settings

3) When finished, be sure to "select" this APN in the new APN list (which may only have one APN to choose).  If you are still not connected, go to your local AT&T store. See what APN settings are on their demo phones, you know, the "pre-loaded with APN settings" models, for your manufacturer. Type that data into your APN settings, exactly. I am going to create another access point with data from my local store this weekend, and see what that does!  If it works, I will share that with you, also.

4) check out this website for more information about international mobile network use and international cell phones:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/travel/global-cell-phones.htm

Good luck!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

10 years ago

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

A few comments:

-  If an AT&T customer service rep doesn't know the APN settings (or at least how to find them for you) they aren't doing their job.  There have been cases of AT&T devices that don't have the APN data properly pre-configured for whatever reason. So they need to be able to tell customers how to set it up.  AT&T explicitly does not support unlocked devices (not AT&T branded), so that is possibly the realy reason they would not give you the APN.

-  Keep in mind that there is a different APN for access to the LTE network.  GoPhones use yet another APN.  All are easily found by searching on these forums, or other places on the internet.

-  If you want/need data access on AT&T's network with an unlocked smartphone, it must be compatible with the 850 and 1900 MHZ 3G bands (not to be confused with the GSM bands).  Otherwise you will only have EDGE data speeds.  For LTE access, the phone needs to be compatible with the AWS (1700/2100 MHz) band.  When purchasing an unlocked device, its a much better idea to look at the actual phone specs to verify they are compatible with AT&T's network, rather than things like a letter in the model number, or terms like "quad band".

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I tried using these settings to get my MMS to work for my GoPhone, however, the APN protocol field is not even in my options on the HTC One X. I have the data package and can get online but MMS simply will not work. I've tried several APNs and none work for MMS on my phone. Is there a separate code for phones that don't have an APN protocol field?

Tutor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm not sure what all you have tried but instead of:

MMS port: 80

Try:

MMS port: 8080

If that doesn't work, I would go to xda developers and search there

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@tmag9777 wrote:
I tried using these settings to get my MMS to work for my GoPhone, however, the APN protocol field is not even in my options on the HTC One X. I have the data package and can get online but MMS simply will not work. I've tried several APNs and none work for MMS on my phone. Is there a separate code for phones that don't have an APN protocol field?

I have a One X, and APN protocol isn't required.  

If you are having trouble getting MMS working, double (triple) check your typing.  One time, I was driving myself crazy with the APN settings until I realized that I had typed backslashes instead of forward slashes!

Also, make sure you didn't just make a new APN, but you actually need to make it the active one, as well.  On your list of APNs (you should have at least 2 now, the default "pta" LTE APN, and the new on you entered manually) make sure the circle to the right of it is colored/selected.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Thank you for this! I have followed everything that was specified but it still gives me a "Failed to connect. Try later" error.

My phone is an unlocked Samsung Ace II x, here are the specs:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ace_ii_x_s7560m-5340.php

Could you please quickly look through it and tell me if it would be compatible with AT&T's prepaid network? I just have unlimited texting and 250 call minutes plan.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@roflz123 wrote:

Thank you for this! I have followed everything that was specified but it still gives me a "Failed to connect. Try later" error.

My phone is an unlocked Samsung Ace II x, here are the specs:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ace_ii_x_s7560m-5340.php

Could you please quickly look through it and tell me if it would be compatible with AT&T's prepaid network? I just have unlimited texting and 250 call minutes plan.

Most any phone has the hardware to be compatible with AT&T's 2G network (as long as it has 2G bands 850 and 1900, which most phones do).  So voice, SMS, and EDGE data should work, as long as you have the APNs right.

Just so you are aware, the phone you linked will not be compatible with AT&T's 3G data network (requires 3G/HSPA bands 850 and 1900, not the same as 2G bands).  But this should not affect your ability to connect via 2G/EDGE.

Voice and SMS should work regardless of the APN settings.  Do voice and SMS work?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi, 

I have a Sony Xperia Z1 Honami, I just bought it online. 

I tried to connect to the internet wit the settings you posted and the error message keeps coming up.

I understand this phone doesnt support the ATT Lte network , i dont mind getting 4g or 3g, but, I cant connect it with the settings that you posted. 

Please help

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@coco1617 wrote:

Hi, 

I have a Sony Xperia Z1 Honami, I just bought it online. 

I tried to connect to the internet wit the settings you posted and the error message keeps coming up.

I understand this phone doesnt support the ATT Lte network , i dont mind getting 4g or 3g, but, I cant connect it with the settings that you posted. 

Please help

Try the settings listed in the second post here:  http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Gophone-Data-Package-Use/td-p/3256017

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I bought an unlocked Galaxy Note 3 and I'm receiving H and/or H+ instead of 3G, 4G, or LTE. I checked the configurations and everything seems right but I still don't get anything faster than H+. Is there something that I can do?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.