For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
symphie5493's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 6:21 AM

Closed

Turned phone from Dual to 2G?

I got the LG Shine about 3 months ago. Recently, I've been having problems with network coverage. I can't make/receive calls or send/receive messages when my phone was on the 3G network. And when it tried to switch back to the 2G network, I would lose network coverage completely.

I found a thread that explained how to get to the "Dual/2G/3G" options and switched my phone from "Dual" to "2G". My problems have stopped, but are there any other consequences I should know about concerning switching this manually?

Accepted Solution

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

15 years ago

None. You'll save your battery life too. I had a Moto v3xx I had to hack in order to turn off 3G. Once  I turned off 3G the phone stopped dropping calls and the battery lasted a long time.

- 23T

Professor

• 

827 Messages

15 years ago

I've had to do this myself here in SoCal, until AT&T added its 2nd 3G carrier channel.
GSM (850 or 1900 on Samsung ZX-20) - reliable
Automatic (typically 3G - 1900) - dropped calls R us
Forced 3G 1900 - less dropped calls (prior to AT&T adding extra capacity)

After AT&T added 850MHz 3G
No dropped calls on 850MHz GSM, 1900MHz GSM, 850MHz 3G or 1900MHz 3G

I'm in a small island - 10 miles in any direction, and I lose 850MHz 3G, and its dropped calls again.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

15 years ago

symphie5493 wrote:
I got the LG Shine about 3 months ago. Recently, I've been having problems with network coverage. I can't make/receive calls or send/receive messages when my phone was on the 3G network. And when it tried to switch back to the 2G network, I would lose network coverage completely.

I found a thread that explained how to get to the "Dual/2G/3G" options and switched my phone from "Dual" to "2G". My problems have stopped, but are there any other consequences I should know about concerning switching this manually?

Did you ever switch your Shine to 2g only??? I'm very curious as to what thread you are referring to. Or can you please post HOW you switched it??? Thanks!!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

I'm not sure which thread it was on, but I've saved the directions in case I ever want to turn it back to "Dual"...

Dial: 277634#*#

It will take you to another screen and follow these directives:
Modem Setting -> Network Mode -> Network Mode -> 2G Only

If I find the other thread I can post it, but that's all it said.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

15 years ago

symphie5493...

Are these the directions you followed??? And how is your phone working for you since you switched to 2g???

Enter 277634#*#
Scroll down to #5 modem setting and click OK
Scroll down to #2 network mode and click OK
Click OK again on #1 network mode
Scroll down to #2, 2g only, and click OK
    ***SEE NOTE BELOW***
Press clear until you are out of all menus.
Power the phone off, wait 15 sec, power on.

***NOTE*** When changing back to 3g, select dual mode in this step.

Dcookie

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

Yes, those are the directions I used. And my phone's been working great since I switched it to 2G Only. No dropped calls, no missing messages, no disappearing network coverage. I never use MediaNet or anything of the sorts, so I never notice the difference in network speed. I love having my phone on 2G. Oh, and as mentioned by someone else before, it saves my battery life too. 🙂

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

15 years ago

symphie5493...

Thanks for letting me know how it works. Actually, I'm SUCH a goof....I actually posted those directions AWHILE ago and totally forgot about it. I got them from another users post...I have never tried to switch it myself. So it's good to know that someone has tried it and it WORKS! I DO have Unlimted Media Net and the only problem I can foresee in only having 2g, would be for the data transfer to be a bit slower. At least if I ever do decide to change to 2g, I KNOW it works!!

Thanks again!

Dcookie Smiley Wink

Professor

• 

827 Messages

15 years ago

Just out of curiosity, what area are you in?
Southern California has a notorious issue of poor service (esp. voice calls) on 3G, in most areas (dropped calls).
I have done similar on my Samsung ZX-20 (I think it works for Blackjacks as well)
*#1546792*#
#3  (Network )  #4 Band --> Pick your band (default = Automatic) GSM 850 OR GSM 1900 will work depending on area... some areas will work on both.
Select 'OK'

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

I live in central Alabama, where the service wasn't horrible on 3G, but in transit back and forth from where I go to college in eastern Alabama, I started having major problems.

Doesn't surprise me, my campus is notoriously bad about things such as radio stations, cell service, cable, etc. since we're close to bordering two different states/time zones. 😕
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.