Check for service outages
Colossal76J's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 9th, 2016 5:59 PM

Throttling unlimited

I'm 4 days into my billing cycle, and I'm being throttled to .30 Mbps! What gives?

Guru

• 

629 Messages

8 years ago

Unfortunately, that kind of thing happens with carriers nowadays.  Those who are lucky enough to still have unlimited data experience "network optimization" after they've used a certain amount.  Carriers say they do that to "help keep the network from bogging down." 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Colossal76J wrote:
I'm 4 days into my billing cycle, and I'm being throttled to .30 Mbps! What gives?

A network slowdown does not necessarily mean you are being throttled. It could simply be network congestion or there could be a network problem. You are not supposed to get throttled until after using 22gb. Have you used that much data in 4 days?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I am being throttled to .30mps after going over my data plan and adding the extra data for $15.00. I have checked my connection. My speed is .30  on the mobile network and wifi. Its ridiculous. I just spent a fortune getting new phones and cant barely use them, 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@Iluvstl

what plan are you on?  Gophone or postpaid?

How many lines and how much data?

If you are on postpaid, it is probably less expensive to change your plan than to pay overage charges.

If you are in a Gophone plan and added data to your plan, it must not have kicked in.  The Gophone plans are unlimited at reduced speed once your allotment is used up.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

GoPhone throttles at 2GB or 5GB, depending on plan. It does this regardless of network congestion. On postpaid. Throttling only occurs after 22GB has been used and whenever a tower is considered congested.

If this is postpaid, 22GB in 4 days seems a bit high. What type of phone?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.