Check for service outages
nharrington's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, April 10th, 2017 1:53 PM

What is the acceptable signal strength for my AT&T HomeBase router?

What is the acceptable signal strength for my ATT HomeBase router ? I am getting about -100dBm

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

DBm numbers are not so much about acceptable, but about if It works or not.  The device in question might be a factor.  You seem to have already seen this information....

http://powerfulsignal.com/cell-signal-strength/

According to everything I've read -100 to -113 is no signal, which is proof you shouldn't believe everything you read.   I live in an area with -110 to -113  and have no problem with cellular signal, including LTE speed data from only one band 17 tower.   I have 2 bars according to my devices.   I'm running Direct NOW video on Cellular, no buffering problems.  

So the question is... how is your service?   Are you having problems?  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the reply.  My service is "ok"; not great, but not too bad either.  I am going to try a few different locations to see if my performance improves as the signal strength improves.  I'll post in a few weeks.

When signal strength is poor, I worry about excessive retransmits (on TCP connections) chewing up my limited data.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

If you have adequate home wifi, it would resolve data issues.  Call and text are another issue.  If you have poor connection for calls, you may be on the fringe of a coverage  area.  Whole new set of problems.

This would mean considering wifi calling, Microcell or cell booster.  The first two provide the best service, but require you be a postpaid customer.  Boosters are very limited range, expensive to buy, but work with any phone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.