For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
Sroman's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, July 23rd, 2019 10:24 PM

Service in the bahamas

I have some questions as I try and use my att phone in the Bahamas

1) I should set my phone to airplane mode so I only connect to wifi when it is available and that way I don't get charge "roaming fees"  ?  

2) Also, my imessenger and facetime will work and is Free as long as I'm calling other Iphones and only when I'm on Wifi ? 

3)   If I'm not connected to wifi and I want to make a call (roaming),  I can BUT will be charged a high rate so I need to keep it short ?

Thank you for any assistance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Sroman wrote:

1) I should set my phone to airplane mode so I only connect to wifi when it is available and that way I don't get charge "roaming fees"  ?  Yes.

2) Also, my imessenger and facetime will work and is Free as long as I'm calling other Iphones and only when I'm on Wifi ? Yes. WiFi calling will also work if you have it enabled.

3)   If I'm not connected to wifi and I want to make a call (roaming),  I can BUT will be charged a high rate so I need to keep it short ? Yes. Calls are $2-$3 per minute unless you get an international plan. If you do roam, make sure you turn data roaming off. Your phone will use data even if you aren’t if you let it. Data charges add up quickly. 

With WiFi calling, you can call and text without roaming charges. If you want to use WiFi calling, make sure you enable it before you travel.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Sroman wrote:

1) I should set my phone to airplane mode so I only connect to wifi when it is available and that way I don't get charge "roaming fees"  ?    Yes.  You can leave airplane mode on and turn WiFi back on.  

2) Also, my imessenger and facetime will work and is Free as long as I'm calling other Iphones and only when I'm on Wifi ? 

Same as 1.  

3)   If I'm not connected to wifi and I want to make a call (roaming),  I can BUT will be charged a high rate so I need to keep it short ?

Correct.  Roaming rates can be $3 a minute.  You should turn data roaming to OFF before turning cellular on as data roaming is very pricey.  You might consider adding day pass, which will only charge if used.  

Thank you for any assistance.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I did not turn on WiFi calling before arriving in Bahamas, I did it when I got here.

Should I turn it off?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Sroman wrote:
I did not turn on WiFi calling before arriving in Bahamas, I did it when I got here.

Should I turn it off?

No need to turn it off. Typically, that is not something you can initially turn on from out of the US. If it worked for you, great. If you are on WiFi calling, you will see “AT&T WiFi” as your carrier. If you don’t see that, you are not on WiFi calling.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.