Check for service outages
Stuman168's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, May 19th, 2016 10:40 AM

Roaming in Canada

I just read the news that ATT will add free roaming to Canada for mobile share plan customer. Any details?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

just chat this morning, unfortunately, only roaming to mexico available to 15GB mobile share plan.

canada only for new unlimited plan. too bad

i will call retention tonight as i am seriously thinking t-mobile simple plan as it's cheaper for frequent traveler outside US

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

Make sure you get retention (say "cancelation" after calling 611) and ask for the Canada Roaming Bonus that's been available for a few months now (not the new plan that came out today).

I don't think chat can help you with it.

Please let us know how it turns out...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L I called and spoke with someone from retention. After several minutes on hold she add Canada roaming bonus on both of my lines. Thank you again. I am glad it's granted timely for our upcoming trip to Canada.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

Excellent, I'm glad it was an easy process!

Thank you for coming back to let us know how it worked out @Stuman168 !

Have a fun trip!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hey Gary,

Great conversation. We just moved to QBC, CAN and I'm trying despearately NOT to have to change my number. I spoke with someone from ATT and they set me up with this roaming NA option with the 1GB data included and the additional GB for $20. As I was out and about today for the first time since adjusting my plan last night, I noticed I was connected but not really. My device/iphone 6 plus, kept asking me to turn on Roaming. I think that is the right thing to do but was afraid of extra expense. What are your thoughts? I will call ATT as well but gosh darn the wait time was soooooooo loooooongggg. Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@lisakugler I think at some point when they realize that more than 50% of your data / texting / calls is coming from outside the US for two consecutive months they may catch you ("If voice, text or data usage in Mexico and/or Canada exceed 50% of total usage for consecutive billing periods, AT&T may remove feature.").

That's the rule for the New Roam North America and (maybe) New Roam Mexico options, this Canada Roaming Bonus option doesn't really exist so the rules are hard (impossible) to find but I'd guess they are similar to the above.

It's the iPhone asking your to turn DATA Roaming on?  Or it's text messages asking you? You'll need data roaming on to use data.  Just turn it on and use it for a bit (make a call and use some data and send a text to a non-iPhone user) and then turn it off and then check your bill over the next few days (internation stuff can be slower to update).

(You might want to look at moving your number to a Google Voice line and have it forwarded (not sure how that works for Canada) or some other similar option)

AFAIK, there is not an option for New Roam North America with the 1GB (it's NA that uses your plan data or Roam Canada Bonus with 1GB), so make sure what your on-line account says. You need this on EACH line.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I called 611 last night and tried to do the Canada roaming just like my Mexico roaming, but the operator insisted that I could only do the passport deal.

I hung up and called again this morning and went to cancellations/retentions like you said and the operator was very helpful and got both of my phones on the Canada Roaming for $0.00. Unlimited talk and text and 1 GB of Data per month. $20 per GB after that.  

THANK-YOU very much for the help. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I forgot to mention that discounted $5 off each line in the process. I have a 2 GB for 2 lines policy and I pay $75 per month for it. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

this is unfair

Why is it included in GoPhobe plans but not to "loyal" monthly 15Gb+ plan customers???

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I was able to add the Canada Roaming bonus on all my lines and they added an extra 5gb a month to my plan, no charge. The customer service rep (Damon)was great!

I hate to ask, but I was so concerned about my daughter being able to contact me from Montreal (her friend is in hospital there, she's travelling to see her) that I didn't ask exactly what the bonus entails. She can call me without the $$$ a minute charge?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.