Check for service outages
Stuman168's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, May 19th, 2016 10:40 AM

Roaming in Canada

I just read the news that ATT will add free roaming to Canada for mobile share plan customer. Any details?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

From the AT&T Roam North America plan info:

"This means customers on a new Mobile Share Value 15GB and higher plan get unlimited calling, texting, and use of their plan data in and between Mexico and the United States."

http://about.att.com/story/new_roaming_benefits_to_mexico_and_canada.html

No mention of Canada, if you can read the whole article it only mentions Canada for the Unlimited.

@jdschooler We're talking about two different plans here.  The new one ('AT&T Roam North America') that doesn't have Canada for Mobile Share but there has been the Canada Roaming Bonus that's been around for a while (not sure how much longer).

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 11.17.11 PM.png

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Stuman168 wrote:
I just read the news that ATT will add free roaming to Canada for mobile share plan customer. Any details?

I think you read wrong. It is only being added for customers on the new unlimited data plan, not those on mobile share.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

I thought it was still available to Mobile Share plans if they call retentions?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

I thought it was still available to Mobile Share plans if they call retentions?

That may be true but that is not what was published on the news release the OP is referring to.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Here is part of the article

If you want to take advantage of AT&T’s new Mexico and Canada roaming features, there are a few things to keep in mind. For one, if you are an Unlimited Plan customer and want the aforementioned features, you will need to either call AT&T or go to your myAT&T online account. From there, make sure to add the AT&T Roam North America feature to each smartphone and the Roam North America Data feature to each tablet. Mobile Share Value customers will not need to take these steps, as the roaming features will be automatically added.
Secondly, AT&T’s Mexico and Canada roaming features will not cost a penny, as both features will be offered at no additional charge to the customer. Finally, the roaming features will be available starting May 20 for regular and business

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Stuman168 wrote:
Here is part of the article

If you want to take advantage of AT&T’s new Mexico and Canada roaming features, there are a few things to keep in mind. For one, if you are an Unlimited Plan customer and want the aforementioned features, you will need to either call AT&T or go to your myAT&T online account. From there, make sure to add the AT&T Roam North America feature to each smartphone and the Roam North America Data feature to each tablet. Mobile Share Value customers will not need to take these steps, as the roaming features will be automatically added.
Secondly, AT&T’s Mexico and Canada roaming features will not cost a penny, as both features will be offered at no additional charge to the customer. Finally, the roaming features will be available starting May 20 for regular and business

I sure hope that turns out to be true for the Canada roaming bonus but that's not what I read. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Stuman168 Mobile share accounts can get CANADA ROAMING BONUS (at least Wednesday, May 18th someone commented in the forums that they got it).  This is not what you are asking about, but I'm sure this is something you'd like.

May 20th, they are changing/adding something new, but what I've read doesn't get you anything for Canada for Mobile Share customers (only the unlimited plan), not sure if they're keeping this Canada roaming bonus or replacing it (I'd call ASAP).

While AT&T has had free roaming for Mexico if you signed up for it, it turns out they also have it in Canada but they've never announced it and you have to ask extra special for it. This free roaming is unlimited talk/texting and 1GB of data for each month for no cost (see the Mexico info attached for more details they tell me it's the same for Canada). 

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/mexico-roaming-bonus.html

Interesting, this link appears to have stopped working, maybe they are deleting/changing things...

Here's a screen capture.

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 11.21.10 PM.png
This isn't a normal promotion HERE'S THE PROCESS: You need to call AT&T at 611, ask for retention or cancelation and tell them what you want Canada and Mexico Roaming Bonus for EACH line (have them add both, it might not be free later).  It doesn't appear to require any begging, just ask. If you log out and back in you should see it in your account pretty much immediatly. If they tell you no, call back and try again, since it's not published not all reps know about it.

These are what is on my Mobile Share plan as of May 14, 2016.

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 11.17.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 11.17.23 PM.png

Here's the May 20th info: AT&T Roam North America plan that you probably read about

Similar plan to Canada Bonus and Mexico bonus but with no 1GB data limit and it uses your data pool.  I believe Mobile Share only gets Mexico portion

https://forums.att.com/t5/Network-Coverage/AT-amp-T-Roam-North-America-for-Mexico-and-Canada-maybe-is/m-p/4819964#M63006

3 Attachments

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

You MUST be on Unlimited to get the Canada portion. Not sure if Customer Retention has an exception option to this or not.

Mobile Share Value 15 GB or better CAN have the Mexico roaming.

BOTH are FREE but NEITHER are added automatically.

In regards to the Canada part, Saskatel (provider in Saskatchewan has not worked in many instances with other FREE Canada Roaming (but would be awesome if it does with this plan).

Never assume your covered, ALWAYS check first woth your favorite Retail store.

Hope this helps...
Jeff

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks,
I will try to call tomorrow and keep you guys posted

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

Make sure you get retention so they know what you're asking for.

If they say no, call back again to make sure someone else might know how. (Seriously!)

I hope they don't discontinute the Canada Roaming Bonus plan...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.