Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 29, 2011
8:31:34 PM
View profile
Not receiving calls when we have full service

Can anyone tell me why calls that are being made to my wireless phone are not ringing my phone and going directly to my voice mail?  This has happened multiple times and not only to me, but to other members of my family and other friends.  It doesn't depend on the phone because I have heard from people with other devices, but I have an iPhone 4, my wife has an iPhone 3gs and it has happened to us multiple times.  It happens when we are at work with full service and the phones are stationary.  It has happened when traveling in different cities and even different states (again where we had full services -- 4-5 bars).  We even tested it out one day sitting in the car together, with full service, she called my phone and it went directly to voice mail and my phone never rang. 

This doesn't happen every time, but it does happen a lot and it happened today when our son tried to call both my wife then me on our cell phones and both times his calls went straight to voice mail and it was an urgent call about a schedule change with his school. We received the voice mails 30 minutes later... all the while the phones were in an area with full service (4-5 bars).

Very frustrated with AT&T service Smiley Sad

Can anyone tell me why calls that are being made to my wireless phone are not ringing my phone and going directly to my voice mail?  This has happened multiple times and not only to me, but to other members of my family and other friends.  It doesn't depend on the phone because I have heard from people with other devices, but I have an iPhone 4, my wife has an iPhone 3gs and it has happened to us multiple times.  It happens when we are at work with full service and the phones are stationary.  It has happened when traveling in different cities and even different states (again where we had full services -- 4-5 bars).  We even tested it out one day sitting in the car together, with full service, she called my phone and it went directly to voice mail and my phone never rang. 

This doesn't happen every time, but it does happen a lot and it happened today when our son tried to call both my wife then me on our cell phones and both times his calls went straight to voice mail and it was an urgent call about a schedule change with his school. We received the voice mails 30 minutes later... all the while the phones were in an area with full service (4-5 bars).

Very frustrated with AT&T service Smiley Sad

Not receiving calls when we have full service

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 7:39:17 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager
Edited by jamileh on Nov 30, 2011 at 8:45:57 AM

I'm not sure why you're seeing this when you're in an area with good service. It's understandable for a call to go directly to voicemail if you're in an area that doesn' t have great signal strength. 

Do you see any other issues when this happens like not being able to send/receive text messages?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

I'm not sure why you're seeing this when you're in an area with good service. It's understandable for a call to go directly to voicemail if you're in an area that doesn' t have great signal strength. 

Do you see any other issues when this happens like not being able to send/receive text messages?

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Not receiving calls when we have full service

[ Edited ]
2 of 24 (23,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 8:37:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

No, and we had this happen again this morning.  My wife tried to call me 3 times, each time the call went directly to voice mail.  She then sent me a text that I did receive.  I tried to call her back and I was able to get thru to her.

No, and we had this happen again this morning.  My wife tried to call me 3 times, each time the call went directly to voice mail.  She then sent me a text that I did receive.  I tried to call her back and I was able to get thru to her.

3 of 24 (23,628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 8:46:51 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hmm....

Well, we can definitely do some troubleshooting to see if we can find out what's going on. Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you? 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

Hmm....

Well, we can definitely do some troubleshooting to see if we can find out what's going on. Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you? 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

4 of 24 (23,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 9:03:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just sent you the information you requested.

Just sent you the information you requested.

5 of 24 (23,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 10:04:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

I purchased an AT & T go phone, had it set up,  but it will not recieve calls from a certain numbers that are calling collect, it doesn't even ring & goes directly to voice mail.  I can call from my iphone 4 without problems and voicemail will pick up after 10 rings.  Is there some other process that I need to complete to allow calls coming from a number that only is calling collect?

I purchased an AT & T go phone, had it set up,  but it will not recieve calls from a certain numbers that are calling collect, it doesn't even ring & goes directly to voice mail.  I can call from my iphone 4 without problems and voicemail will pick up after 10 rings.  Is there some other process that I need to complete to allow calls coming from a number that only is calling collect?

6 of 24 (23,614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2011 6:46:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

Really? This has become a daily occurence for me in the last few months, in the middle of NYC!!!! 5 bars and no incoming calls. I'm not exaggerating, this is DAILY and in zipcode 10022!!!!
Even worse, most of the time it doesn't just go to voice mail, the caller hears several rings before going to voice mail. 
People accuse me of ignoring the calls, and I'm hoping that this won't cause a disaster for me professionally or with my family. 

The least AT&T can do is give me a percentage of my bill for the last few months as compensation, I've asked a few times but have not received it.
I'm trying to figure out a reason why I should stay with AT&T now that my contract is over... 

Really? This has become a daily occurence for me in the last few months, in the middle of NYC!!!! 5 bars and no incoming calls. I'm not exaggerating, this is DAILY and in zipcode 10022!!!!
Even worse, most of the time it doesn't just go to voice mail, the caller hears several rings before going to voice mail. 
People accuse me of ignoring the calls, and I'm hoping that this won't cause a disaster for me professionally or with my family. 

The least AT&T can do is give me a percentage of my bill for the last few months as compensation, I've asked a few times but have not received it.
I'm trying to figure out a reason why I should stay with AT&T now that my contract is over... 

7 of 24 (23,588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 6:32:19 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by kbeard52006 on Dec 1, 2011 at 6:38:54 AM

we live in north jersey -near nyc and this has been going on for us for months now.. it is BEYOND frustrating.. no calls come in or go out - with FULL bars of coverage.  Nor can we receive or send text messages.. .  Without land lines and paying what we do every month for our phones to not be able work for sometimes 4-5 days at a time is out of control

we live in north jersey -near nyc and this has been going on for us for months now.. it is BEYOND frustrating.. no calls come in or go out - with FULL bars of coverage.  Nor can we receive or send text messages.. .  Without land lines and paying what we do every month for our phones to not be able work for sometimes 4-5 days at a time is out of control

[ Edited ]
8 of 24 (23,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 2:42:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

Att service is a joke, i live in IL, we signed up in June 2010 with the intention of 3-4 bars, three months later (over a year now) it suddenly dropped down to no service or 1 bar at best, I was then told I cannot be let out of my contract due to the tiny print of them saying they do not gaurantee service anywhere (even know that something definitely changed in service) Although they will verify my drop call rate and that I am close to a dead zone they are still trying to make me pay 700.00 for cancellation.  Its crap that we signed for service and then it changed and they wont let me out.  If i had that service in the beginning why wouldnt i just cancelled within the 30 days??  They then insisted that I pay for a microcell $200.00, that didnt help, then they said it was the microcell itself, then I exchanged that one for the same problems.  Now they are still giving me the run around me and wondering why im upset when i pay 180.00 for 450 minutes, three lines, and data plan on two phones, after i have called them over 100 hours of my time!!!! They are crap service, cant wait to get out of my contract and IM calling bbb!!

Att service is a joke, i live in IL, we signed up in June 2010 with the intention of 3-4 bars, three months later (over a year now) it suddenly dropped down to no service or 1 bar at best, I was then told I cannot be let out of my contract due to the tiny print of them saying they do not gaurantee service anywhere (even know that something definitely changed in service) Although they will verify my drop call rate and that I am close to a dead zone they are still trying to make me pay 700.00 for cancellation.  Its crap that we signed for service and then it changed and they wont let me out.  If i had that service in the beginning why wouldnt i just cancelled within the 30 days??  They then insisted that I pay for a microcell $200.00, that didnt help, then they said it was the microcell itself, then I exchanged that one for the same problems.  Now they are still giving me the run around me and wondering why im upset when i pay 180.00 for 450 minutes, three lines, and data plan on two phones, after i have called them over 100 hours of my time!!!! They are crap service, cant wait to get out of my contract and IM calling bbb!!

9 of 24 (23,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 3:21:50 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Tumbleweedz wrote:

This *only* happens when people try calling you collect? That is very odd and may well be related to a setting. Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you?

--------------

Tumbleweedz wrote:

This *only* happens when people try calling you collect? That is very odd and may well be related to a setting. Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you?

--------------

10 of 24 (23,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 3:25:19 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager
kbeard52006 & nycuser9000 
Have you done troubleshooting on your phones like replacing sim cards? Will you please send me a private message with your address so I can do a bit more research?

--------------

kbeard52006 & nycuser9000 
Have you done troubleshooting on your phones like replacing sim cards? Will you please send me a private message with your address so I can do a bit more research?

--------------

11 of 24 (23,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 3:29:55 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

hubberducki wrote:

I'm sorry you've had such a rough go. Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you? Let's get you in touch with someone who can review your account history and see if there is anything we can do to make this better. 

--------------

hubberducki wrote:

I'm sorry you've had such a rough go. Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you? Let's get you in touch with someone who can review your account history and see if there is anything we can do to make this better. 

--------------

12 of 24 (23,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 6:41:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thats how they provide service.  Then they claim you to be in an area of good coverage, who cares what the bars say if the service isnt reflected in them.

Thats how they provide service.  Then they claim you to be in an area of good coverage, who cares what the bars say if the service isnt reflected in them.

13 of 24 (23,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2011 6:49:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

jamileh yes I have done all that troubleshooting. I went to the at&t store and they changed my sim card. I talked to the customer support service at least 7 times about this and of course they went through all the steps (changing IMEI etc, as if they would help). My phone is also only a month old as I switched it in apple store since my old one was defective.

The fact that it seems so unbelievable to your employees that the service is so bad and want to have customers go through these dumb troubleshooting steps reflects major problems with at&t's management. 

I asked them several times for a refund as I thought that was the least they could do for me. At some point one customer support rep committed to giving $120 refund and the call dropped!! The next rep wasn't willing to give a refund!!! I got $40 refund after many attempts but this of course doesn't compensate for the frustration and important calls I have missed over several months! I am switching to Verizon today.

Thank you for having me as a valued customer for so many years. 

jamileh yes I have done all that troubleshooting. I went to the at&t store and they changed my sim card. I talked to the customer support service at least 7 times about this and of course they went through all the steps (changing IMEI etc, as if they would help). My phone is also only a month old as I switched it in apple store since my old one was defective.

The fact that it seems so unbelievable to your employees that the service is so bad and want to have customers go through these dumb troubleshooting steps reflects major problems with at&t's management. 

I asked them several times for a refund as I thought that was the least they could do for me. At some point one customer support rep committed to giving $120 refund and the call dropped!! The next rep wasn't willing to give a refund!!! I got $40 refund after many attempts but this of course doesn't compensate for the frustration and important calls I have missed over several months! I am switching to Verizon today.

Thank you for having me as a valued customer for so many years. 

14 of 24 (23,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2011 8:44:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

Get that all the time here.....but it has gotten worse in the last month......last time the time from call to voice mail was 5 hours!

Get that all the time here.....but it has gotten worse in the last month......last time the time from call to voice mail was 5 hours!

15 of 24 (23,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2013 11:58:57 AM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem with me. We have 2 phones - one iphone5 and another HTC OneX. Both have the same issue. When somebody calls after 2-3 rings it goes to voicemail. But I can use my phone for making calls. This happens in only my residence area i.e. Solon, OH. I called helpdesk thrice and they did some troubleshooting but of no help.

Pls. help!!!

Same problem with me. We have 2 phones - one iphone5 and another HTC OneX. Both have the same issue. When somebody calls after 2-3 rings it goes to voicemail. But I can use my phone for making calls. This happens in only my residence area i.e. Solon, OH. I called helpdesk thrice and they did some troubleshooting but of no help.

Pls. help!!!

16 of 24 (20,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2013 7:09:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

Did you ever find a solution for this problem?  I am experiencing the same issue. Thanks.

Did you ever find a solution for this problem?  I am experiencing the same issue. Thanks.

17 of 24 (19,292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2014 7:50:51 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having this issue on a daily basis. I purchased an iPhone 4 through ATT last June, and live in a major metropolitan area. Never had this problem with Verizon ...

I'm having this issue on a daily basis. I purchased an iPhone 4 through ATT last June, and live in a major metropolitan area. Never had this problem with Verizon ...

18 of 24 (17,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2014 4:00:06 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm having a similar issue. 2 years ago, I upgraded 2 phones and got both Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket's. My wife very often did not recieve calls with hers. We would compare call logs where mine showed 5 attempts to call and hers would show nothing. After going through several steps of trouble shooting with no success, we just upgraded our phones 2 days ago. Both of us got the Samsung galaxy s4 , new simm cards for both. Right away hers is not receiving calls. She missed a work call today and I was unable to get a hold of her in a semi-urgent moment. What is up with this?
I'm having a similar issue. 2 years ago, I upgraded 2 phones and got both Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket's. My wife very often did not recieve calls with hers. We would compare call logs where mine showed 5 attempts to call and hers would show nothing. After going through several steps of trouble shooting with no success, we just upgraded our phones 2 days ago. Both of us got the Samsung galaxy s4 , new simm cards for both. Right away hers is not receiving calls. She missed a work call today and I was unable to get a hold of her in a semi-urgent moment. What is up with this?

I'm having a similar issue. 2 years ago, I upgraded 2 pho...

19 of 24 (15,553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2014 5:12:54 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have had this issue for months-maybe even a year now. I always had great service until the last few months and now I have 1-2 bars all the time. My phone rarely rings
I have had this issue for months-maybe even a year now. I always had great service until the last few months and now I have 1-2 bars all the time. My phone rarely rings

I have had this issue for months-maybe even a year now. I...

20 of 24 (14,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2014 5:15:01 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have had this issue for months-maybe even a year now. I always had great service until the last few months and now I have 1-2 bars all the time. My phone rarely rings when my boyfriend calls. We can be sitting together and it will ring on his end but my phone won't do anything. I see his call logs. This is so frustrating.
I have had this issue for months-maybe even a year now. I always had great service until the last few months and now I have 1-2 bars all the time. My phone rarely rings when my boyfriend calls. We can be sitting together and it will ring on his end but my phone won't do anything. I see his call logs. This is so frustrating.

I have had this issue for months-maybe even a year now. I...

21 of 24 (14,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2014 12:58:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
First of all it is probably not AT&T,try these tricks.restart your iPhone first if this does not work try the following.go to settings – cellular – turn off cellularData. Then turn it back on. is that do not disturb is turned ongo to settings – do not disturb and turn the setting offto allow calls to come through. Nothing fixes this send me a private messageand will work on this together.note for next timeplease include what operating system you're running on such as iOS 7 or iOS eightyou can check this by going to settings – Gen. – software update.
Alex
U-verse problems, ATTU-verseCare.
Cellular Problems, ATTMobilityCare.
Billing/other problems ATTCustomerCare
DirecTV Problems, ATTDirectCare
Please mark replies as solutions if it fixed your problem. This helps other members find answers quickly.
First of all it is probably not AT&T,try these tricks.restart your iPhone first if this does not work try the following.go to settings – cellular – turn off cellularData. Then turn it back on. is that do not disturb is turned ongo to settings – do not disturb and turn the setting offto allow calls to come through. Nothing fixes this send me a private messageand will work on this together.note for next timeplease include what operating system you're running on such as iOS 7 or iOS eightyou can check this by going to settings – Gen. – software update.
Alex
Please mark replies as solutions if it fixed your problem. This helps other members find answers quickly.
Alex
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

22 of 24 (14,723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2015 8:14:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

I hate to inform you but this an AT and T problem.  I went through all the trouble shooting you are suggesting twice. My phone still does the same thing. This is horrible service and I was told by a At&T rep that it has to do with my phone staying connected to my hometown tower so I have to hit airplane mode on and off to disconnect to that tower and connect to the closest tower. My husbandf and I pay enough money as it is to where i should not have to reset my phone everytime I leave my house. 

I hate to inform you but this an AT and T problem.  I went through all the trouble shooting you are suggesting twice. My phone still does the same thing. This is horrible service and I was told by a At&T rep that it has to do with my phone staying connected to my hometown tower so I have to hit airplane mode on and off to disconnect to that tower and connect to the closest tower. My husbandf and I pay enough money as it is to where i should not have to reset my phone everytime I leave my house. 

23 of 24 (7,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2015 4:29:16 PM
(0)
Contributor
This is the same thing happening to all 3 of my family's iPhones. I'm on a Corp account and it is happening as well. ATT what are you doing ? Hearing this from multiple people her in zip code 84045.
This is the same thing happening to all 3 of my family's iPhones. I'm on a Corp account and it is happening as well. ATT what are you doing ? Hearing this from multiple people her in zip code 84045.

24 of 24 (5,882 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments