For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
JessiLynn78's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 2:36 AM

No service even though coverage map says there is

I researched providers relying on coverage maps in our area. I need to choose the best option due to the fact I work from home and need reliability. I went with att&t based on the coverage showing. I am not oblivious to the fact that those maps aren't perfect so I chose att&t because they show the highest quality data and voice surrounding us and doesn't even show any gaps until about miles down the road from us. So we just made the commitment of choosing att&t, we bring home our 5 phones and guess what? No service at all. Not even a bar. I tried contacting them via chat and after troubleshooting, was told to visit a store because I must be in a blind spot and cell towers around me must be fighting each other. Her words not mine. I visit my local store just to be told use wifi calling. Now I have no problem using wifi calling but what I do have a problem with is the fact that I am paying a crazy amount of money for unlimited data through them. Why should I have to pay another company for wifi so I can use att&'s phones when I researched in great detail to make sure there was good coverage here? Yes I already have wifi but that is not the point. Wifi calling isn't reliable either. I downloaded a coverage map for cell towers and there are towers all around me. A mile or 2 in every direction. I don't understand why we have no service. Could att&t maps be that far off? If so, why is that my fault? Is that not false advertising? That is what the coverage maps are for aren't they? So we can choose a provider that offers the best coverage near us? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Why didn't you move one phone to test the service? (I did).  

Don't know what sort of research you did, open signal?  Root Metrics?

Even those are general.   

If your home is in a geographic dead zone, or buried in trees, behind a hill, it's out of the carriers hand.  

Tutor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

You should have asked your neighbors who gives and has the best reception in the area where you live they offered a great package to return to them and I switched from Sprint half the price for Service their reception in this area was also 0 to 2 bars I now regret it I thought after 5 years I thought they'd fix the problem I too have WiFi calling in order to have service where I live and work at home after Hurricane Irma in Davie Florida three towers are out in my area my contract's up in 3 weeks on one phone and six months on the other three I'm switching to anyone but AT&T..

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Wow, I'm sorry if my post offended you in any way lizdance40. That was not my intention. The average person is not equipped with your knowledge of cellular data. Us average people normally rely on a company not lying about the coverage they have. As in trees, yes I do believe there are trees everywhere you look here in Virginia. As in my home being in an unusual cove or behind a hill, etc. I live right along the road and there towers in every direction around me. My home would have to be buried underground to be hidden from them all. And again let me explain that I know and understand that the maps are not right on point, but for it to say I have the best coverage all around me for several miles all around me, I think is a little past just not being on point. And if the mapping is off that much, it needs to be taken away. You see when us average people are shopping for good reliable service, it don't make too much sense to sign a contract for 2 years just to hope for the best, we tend to rely on the company to provide accurate information. The sales department relies on the same method when a customer asks them if their company has coverage in a certain area don't they? So when I say I researched the coverage, I didn't hire a squad of computer gurus. I checked the map in detail, I chatted with an agent and asked questions, as well as spoke to the salesman when I finally signed 2 years away. And I am not sure what you meant about moving one phone to test the service. 1 phone or 5 your still under contract for years if that is what you were referring to. And again based on the map, and 2 agents I didn't see a need to test it out. Maybe if I were experienced in getting screwed over by these companies I would have learned about all your knowledge, but I am brand new to this group and I forgot the lube.
Buzinga, yes I spoke with neighbors and my closest ones do not own phones, but the ones that live about 150 yards from me have att and have great service. And there are no obstacles between us. And I wish the best for you and everyone in your area in getting your lives back together.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

How did I indicate offense? 

Someone posts in here that he's amazed how people find this forum and create a login and other resources after they have a problem rather than save themselves the misery and ask these questions before switching.  

I suggested you might not have done enough homework, so did  @BUZINGA .  Once you check the websites like Open signal and Root Metrics, or asked your neighbors, lacking a resounding "yeah" you could move one phone to see if service works.  

Since it is entirely on us customers to decide if the service works for us, we have to do the leg work.  

Coverage maps for all carriers are far to general.

I don't get service in my home and poor outside due to heavy tree cover.  But I get decent service if I step into the clearing.  It's not Verizon or ATT fault my home and trees block signal, it's just a fact of life we deal with.  

Your options:

-   Find a carrier that works and use their buy out option.  Read the terms 

-   buy a microcell.  I got an almost new one off ebay

-   use wifi calling.   I prefer the microcell, I get 5 bars and I have 3 non ATT phones which can't use wifi calling.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Because as stated in my original post and then again in my reply, I did do my homework.
I still am not understanding what you mean by move one phone?
A company that sells a product or service has an obligation to provide potential customers accurate and honest information while they are baiting them in do they not? Im really confused as to why you feel and/or assume a customer didn't do their "homework" when they post a question on this forum asking for advice? Your response began with what research did you do, and followed up with basically saying it's probably trees? I get service right up the road and are surrounded by trees. I am open to the the blame as the customer if anyone can make sense of how inaccurate and false information from at&t results in the customer, many customers upon reading other inquiries, is to blame?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

And as in the leg work you speak of. I felt that I was completely clear that I did do the legwork and that is why I am here now. Even had several agents assure me that my area is completely covered and shows no potential issues. I didn't even get the "let's cover our butt" spill about the maps 100%accurate that most people get. Why? Because it shows 4glte service with no shady areas within miles all around me.
Your last step in the advice you provided about moving 1 phone I assume you meant that you assumed I changed providers and you are saying I should have started with transferring one phone instead of all five? That has to be the most ridiculous form of this being my fault. First off all, I didn't switch. My contract ended a few months ago and instead of jumping into anther contract I spent my time doing the leg work you assumed I didn't do even though my initial inquiry clearly stated that I did. But let's just say anyone else with several phones finds themselves right here where I am at. And they read your response. And they attempt to "move one phone to try out out " And they find it doesn't work. Then what? What did moving one phone do any different than the five? You are still in a new contract. And not to mention, it would be pretty dumb to pay two providers especially since you save way more and qualify for all discounts with any provider when you start with multiple lines. So say I did start with one phone, I would have just screwed myself out of any and all the deals and still be stuck with a contract that provided no service plus anther bill with another carrier. And that's logical? So you say that even though I completed all the steps that I could like checking the maps in great detail, knowing where all ten towers are that surround my home, speaking with my neighbors, and finally speaking with several at&t agents to verify in which they did, it's my fault as the customer that I have none of what at&t said I would? Because my home may be covered in trees or behind a hill? In which I said it was not. If there were these homes potentially buried in trees and behind a hill, then wouldn't the coverage map show in stable or patchy areas? At least that is what they said. I spoke with anther agents after discovering toys issue and they are puzzled as well. But you know they can't offer any guidance as to how to solve this issue. But the last lady I spoke with said she couldn't even give me the normal "troubleshooting" speech because of how clear the map is here. I'm not even close to bordering where the service becomes patchy. So I come here since this is the community where I thought we as customers could potentially connect with others whom has had or is having the same issues. You shouldn't assume everyone is ignorant, or at least respond with a defensive post unless you have any legitimant guidance to offer. I was taught to keep my nose out unless I could offer any ideas or kind words to people.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@JessiLynn78   

So it's you who are offended....  I gave you common sense advice based on my personal experience because it worked for me very well.   Including how I resolved my own lack of signal.

So, now I am offended.   Or I should be.   But my "ridiculous" solution has worked well for me twice, so not ridiculous was it.  Also, Since I have service (in a newly dead zone) and you do not you might consider reading what worked for me.  

1.    There are no service contracts anymore.  The only obligation is to pay for phones.  As long as you own the phone, you can leave any carrier at will, just like prepaid services.  

2.    Since many phones have bands for all carriers, they can move from carrier to carrier.  It is possible to switch one  phone to test another service.  Which is exactly what I did almost 4 years ago when trying out ATT, and again in July when my signal quality dropped at home.  I paid $25 to use Verizon prepaid with a new number with a Moto pure edition we own.  

3.    Even if you own phones that you can take with you, Switching is expensive, there are activation fees on every line, paying off the old carrier, and the bill ahead on the new carrier.  

Of course it's cheaper to switch one phone you own to another carrier, and back, than to switch 5 and buy new phones, and find out you made a long term commitment because you financed 5 phones you can't pay for outright to get out.  

As for guidance....  I wrote your options above, I will reprint them as you seem to have skipped that part.    

Your options:
- Find a carrier that works and use their buy out option. Read the terms
- buy a microcell. I got an almost new one off ebay
- use wifi calling. I prefer the microcell, I get 5 bars and I have 3 non ATT phones which can't use wifi calling.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40
If that was in fact what you offered originally that would have been fine. I would have thanked you for your advice and moved along. But that is not what your initial post said. Your exact words:

"Why didn't you move one phone to test the service? (I did).  

Don't know what sort of research you did, open signal?  Root Metrics?

Even those are general.  

If your home is in a geographic dead zone, or buried in trees, behind a hill, it's out of the carriers hand."

It seems as though you need to print your own words off for yourself as you seem to forget that you weren't so eager to help but to question why I didn't do what (You did) But you only offered real advice after me pointing out that your post did not offer any. So please don't make it seem as though you posted honest advice initially therefore not warranting any negativity on my part. I'm done with playing this midle school game with you. Have a nice day and thank you for your advice. Later is better than never

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.