For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
jmcclendon00's profile

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

Thursday, December 11th, 2014 9:45 PM

No Service / No Upgrades

I get this message when I go online and try to upgrade my phone:

"There was a problem with your request. AT&T does not provide service in your area based on your billing zip code. If your zip code is correct (it is), please contact customer service at 1-800-331-0500 to discuss your upgrade options. (P1285)"

When I call ATT they say I do have "limited" service but will not cancel my contracts. Now I'm stuck with crummy service and no phone upgrades here in mid-Nebraska!

Any ideas?

J&K

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

When you sign a contract you have a4 days to verify that your phone works in the areas you want coverage. If you find it does't work you can cancel during that time and only pay a small restocking fee plus the services used. If you just signed a new contract, then use that period to cancel it. If you moved to an area with no coverage, that is just one part of the equation that you need to consider You ave a 2 year commitment for service, it isn't AT&T's fault you chose to move to an area where they don't offer coverage right now.

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

Hi, thanks for the info. We did recently move into an area that has crummy service (rom NY to NE). We can usually get calls but no data, even the calls are sporadic.

Weird thing is when I call ATT they say we do have voice service from “partners” (no LTE or 4G) but when I go online they say I do not have service and will not let me upgrade my phone.

I can probably get by with the crummy service as Verizon is a lot more per month than ATT and I hate to switch after so many years with ATT.

Guess I’m just complaining really!

Best, jmc

McClendon Consulting
www.multimediaconsulting.biz
jeromemcclendon@mac.com
@jmcclendon00
703-608-9703

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

You might be able to get some assistance when you are at home by getting a MicroCell device. It would use your home internet connection to communicate to AT&T then act much like a wifi router, but for cell calls. Of course, it would require that you have a non-wireless home internet connection.

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

Yep, We tried the MicroCell, they gave me one for free, but when I try to hook it up I’m told the towers here will not support MicroCell. the setup stops when I enter my location/zip code.
Ugg, jmc

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

9 years ago

Hello @jmcclendon00 

Just to clarify, getting service from partners means roaming on another company's network, so the information you're getting online is correct, AT&T doesn't provide service in your area. In cases of excessive roaming, upgrades won't be available.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.