Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Mexico Plan for Mobile Share Value - May 20, 2016

ACE - Expert

Mexico Plan for Mobile Share Value - May 20, 2016

This looks like PART of the new plan announced for May 20, 2016.

At least the part for 15GB or higher Mobile Share Value plans.

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 1.06.39 AM.png

"When you choose a new 15GB or higher Mobile Share Value® plan, you will be able to place unlimited calls, send unlimited texts, and access your Mobile Share Value plan data in Mexico like you do in the U.S.—with no roaming charges"

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 1.05.02 AM.png

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/mexico-roaming-plan.html

They have a business version of the page too.

It keeps saying "When you choose a new 15GB or higher Mobile Share Value Plan"...

Although the fine print says existing plans, it still has bits of data from the old old pay plan ($20 per 300MB data overage) so parts there could be questionable as to where it's from (the Mexico Bonus plan?).

From the FAQ:

Can I have both the Mexico Roaming Bonus feature and a new Mobile Share Value plan that includes roaming in Mexico?
No. The Mexico Roaming Bonus feature cannot be on the same line as the new Mobile Share Value 15GB or higher plan or the AT&T Roam Mexico feature. If you currently have Mexico Roaming Bonus on your device, this feature must be removed before you can move to a new Mobile Share Value plan 15GB or higher or add the AT&T Roam Mexico feature to your device. In most cases, it will be better to change to a new Mobile Share Value 15GB or higher plan that includes roaming in Mexico functionality or add the AT&T Roam Mexico feature, as you’ll have access to all of your plan data to use in Mexico. Mexico Roaming Bonus only provides 1GB per line before overage charges are incurred.

Here's the Mexico AND Canada version for the Unlimited plan...  (May 20, 2016 plan) 

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mexico Plan for Mobile Share Value - May 20, 2016

Since my wife and I are on a small five (5) person 15 GB MSV plan that currently has the old Mexico Roaming Bonus (unlimited voice/text within and to/from Mexico) with 1 GB of data and the Canada Roaming Bonus (unlimited voice/text within and to/from Canada) with 1 GB of data it look like...

If we switch to the new Mexico Roaming Bonus with 15 GB of data we lose the old Canada Roaming Bonus and have to use either an International Plan or pay-per-use rates. Is that the way you understand it?

If true we will stick with the old Mexico/Canada Roaming Bonus plans just to get the voice/text coverage in Canada when we visit. For our short trips to either country we don't use much data at all and can quite easily stay under the 1 GB limit.

Its a bit confusing to say the least...

Message 2 of 10
ACE - Expert

@Anonymous I think that'll be a call to retention to find out for sure. 

I'm not giving up Canada Bonus just for more data in Mexico.  I can always buy an additional 1 GB in Mexico for $20 (that's cheaper than 300MB in Canada on the International Plan for $30) and that would be more than enough.

We'll find out if both can be done soon Smiley Happy

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
Accepted by Anonymous
‎05-20-2016 11:07 AM

@SoonerAl wrote:

Since my wife and I are on a small five (5) person 15 GB MSV plan that currently has the old Mexico Roaming Bonus (unlimited voice/text within and to/from Mexico) with 1 GB of data and the Canada Roaming Bonus (unlimited voice/text within and to/from Canada) with 1 GB of data it look like...

If we switch to the new Mexico Roaming Bonus with 15 GB of data we lose the old Canada Roaming Bonus and have to use either an International Plan or pay-per-use rates. Is that the way you understand it?

If true we will stick with the old Mexico/Canada Roaming Bonus plans just to get the voice/text coverage in Canada when we visit. For our short trips to either country we don't use much data at all and can quite easily stay under the 1 GB limit.

Its a bit confusing to say the least...

@Anonymous, you are supposed to be able to add the "Roam Mexico" feature to your existing Mobile Share plan without having to switch to a new Mobile Share plan. In other words, you should be able to remove the "Mexico Roaming Bonus" and replace it with the "Roam Mexico" feature without changing your plan and therefore without affecting your Canada Roaming bonus.

The only difference between Mexico Roaming Bonus and Roam Mexico is the former gives you a separate 1GB of data to use in Mexico while the latter just uses your MSV plan data. So, whether or not you switch depends on how much you actually travel to Mexico and how much data you need.

Message 4 of 10
ACE - Expert

The settings are available to select this now.

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 7.05.11 AM.png

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

sandblaster wrote:

...you are supposed to be able to add the "Roam Mexico" feature to your existing Mobile Share plan without having to switch to a new Mobile Share plan. In other words, you should be able to remove the "Mexico Roaming Bonus" and replace it with the "Roam Mexico" feature without changing your plan and therefore without affecting your Canada Roaming bonus.

The only difference between Mexico Roaming Bonus and Roam Mexico is the former gives you a separate 1GB of data to use in Mexico while the latter just uses your MSV plan data. So, whether or not you switch depends on how much you actually travel to Mexico and how much data you need.

That's the way I would expect it to work. Now with that said who is going to be brave enough to try it first...Smiley Happy

Thanks to you and garylapointe for your help...

Message 6 of 10
ACE - Expert

@Anonymous I took the plunge and added it to my line.  

I called and they said it should add just fine without hurting the Canada 1GB bonus, but they could fix it if I broke it, so I did it while I was on with a SUPER-helpful guy and it turned out just fine.

As you can see I now have both "New! Roam Mexico and Canada Roaming Bonus" on my Mobile Share Value plan!

Screen Shot 2016-05-21 at 6.36.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-21 at 6.37.26 PM.png

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

garylapointe

Thanks for taking the plunge so to speak. I'll get my grandson, who officially manages our small 5 person MSV plan, to make the change to our lines....

Thanks again...👍

Message 8 of 10
Contributor

I will be traveling to Mexico Next week, i have the Roam Mexico Feature on my Plan, i just need to know when arriving in Mexico do i have to do any thing to activate the Roam Mexico Feature? Like turn on the Data Roaming on my IPhone? or will this be automatically on? TIA

Message 9 of 10
ACE - Expert

@MrsRDtown214 No phone settings change by themselves. If you have data roaming turned off, you will need to turn it on if you want to use data. You will be able to call or text whether data roaming is on or off. 

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support