Check for service outages
Msavidge's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, June 18th, 2016 11:20 PM

Low signal at home, multiple phones

My wife and I have been using att for at least a year now (non contract) and have never had better than 2 signal bars (at best -105dbm). This kills our battery life and most importantly it will drop calls every once in awhile. My wife works from home and this happens during meetings which is not good.

For non contract plans are we eligible for a free device that boosts signal quality in home? Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

AT&T does have a Microcell Signal Booster device available. You do need broadband cable or DSL, not satellite, in order for it to work. Additionally any 3G or 4G-capable handset with AT&T wireless service will work on an AT&T MicroCell. You can't activate an AT&T MicroCell with a GoPhone®, but GoPhone users can be added as Approved Users.

There is currently a $75 rebate available to reduce the cost if you can't sweet talk AT&T into providing the device for free.

I would recommend not purchasing a used Microcell online, like through eBay or other online reseller for example, unless you can be assured the device has been deactivated from the original users account and there is a very good return policy to get your money back in case its not.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for the very informative and hasty reply. It is appreciated!

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

You can also get a regular "cellular" signal booster, which is realliy more of a "repeater", which uses power to incresase the dB of the cell signal.

I use one of thse during the winter, while traveling, it turns some dead areas during travels into pretty fast cell service, it's a bit surprising.

There's a wide variety out there though, you have to check reviews (hint: check the RV forums, they're obsessed with them;-]).  Plus, the antennas and power vary a lot, from units that have to have the phone mounted driectly against them, to ones that provide a "blanket" of coverage in a given square footage (mine is a one with a small car footprint sq. footage coveraage, maybe 5x6').  Mine will roughly double-triple my basement speeds too, for example, I get maybe 3-5mbps downstairs, and can get 10-15 pretty easily, with my setup.

Theyre' far from free though, and if you want to get absolute dead-reliable singal, the Microcell is probably a better bet.  If you want someting more "portable", then the repeater/booster isn't a bad way to go.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Does att have the microcell booster

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

I have 2 go phones want to know if microcell work at my home

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Teresadgre wrote:
I have 2 go phones want to know if microcell work at my home

Yes you can use GoPhones with a Microcell Network Extender...

Please note the following from my reply to the original poster...

You can't activate an AT&T MicroCell with a GoPhone®, but GoPhone users can be added as Approved Users.

That means you need at least one postpaid plan associated with the account in order to activate and manage a Microcell...

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Is there anything else that would work on prepaid phone

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

No really. One of those Wilson boosters but they're expensive. What's you dBm and ASU in your location? What kind of phones?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

I have an iPhone 6 and my husband has an I phone 5. I get 5 bars outside of my home but not in the inside. They worked fine in my home until we went on vacation. Don't know what had happened

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Hmm that's strange. Cause outside getting that strong of a signal indicates indoor signal penetration is to blame. That the phones are getting really weak indoor signal because material or something is blocking the radio waves.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.