Helpful Links

Less 4G LTE on new phone

Contributor

Less 4G LTE on new phone

Hello, I tried researching this issue Im having with no luck, so I figured I'd try here before I call.
I upgraded my Galaxy S5 to a Galaxy S7 two weeks ago. I love the phone but I'be noticed I have poorer 4G LTE reception in the same locations. Where I would show at least 4 bars religiously on my old phone, now it dances between 1 and 2 bars in the same location.
I figured a new phone would have better reception, and I wonder if it's not only limited to data but to calls/texts too. I know I was in a location today where I had zero signal but my fiance with Verizon had 3 bars.
Please help me understand this issue and how I can fix it.
PS: I have the same number of apps as my old phone.
Message 1 of 4
ACE - Professor

Re: Less 4G LTE on new phone

@jcbmaverickFirst of all, it's a bit easier if you use an apples-apples comparison, by removing the "bars" ;-]

I like "network cell info lite", the free version lets you view 2 networks simultaneously, and the paid one allows a bunch of comparisons (the free does most stuff I want to do).

This lets you get a clear idea, on both devices, of how strong your signal is, and you could even run it on the Verizon phone too, for comparison (although the results aren't really as relevant, unless you're thinking of switching).

Once you get it installed, run it a few times, from the same locations, at at least 2 times during the day.  This will give you a really clear picture, as to whether or not the new device is actually receiving less signal, or just subjectively appears to (I've been fooled before myself;-]).

The S7, while probably not the top handset for signal for that range, generally gets pretty good ratings for signal performance, so you shouldn't see a big degradation.

Have fun, let us know what you find out, we're curious too!

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
ACE - Expert

Exactly....

I have several different phones which will show different "bars" and different voice quality.

But they all report -111 dBm connected to band 17 

Voice quality varies by device.   In areas where I get no ATT signal on most phones, I have 2 winners that still pull a signal and can text and make calls outdoors...

The Pixel and Honor 8.  (Neither are ATT branded phones).  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Different bars do not really show the coverage good or bad .
My Samsung Note 4 showing 1 bar LTE when I was on the 30th floor on top of a hotel in Vegas.
Switch the Sim card to Samsung Note 5 showing 3 bars LTE at the same spot.
I am using AT&T Gophone service with  unlocked phones.

Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Announcements

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is Here! Learn What’s New and How to Order

The iPhone X (10) is on it's way!

Additional Support