Check for service outages
pyro7189's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 12th, 2014 12:19 AM

HD Voice / VoLTE on Unbranded (Non-AT&T) Devices

I understand the initial roll out of AT&T HD Voice supported only the Galaxy S 4 Mini, and that additional AT&T LTE phones may received firmware updates to add Voice Over LTE compatibilty.

My questions relate to non-AT&T phones.  I currently use a Sony D5803 Z3 Compact.  This phone was designed by Sony to support VoLTE out of the box.  My model supports LTE Bands 2, 4, and 7, giving it full hardware compatibility with AT&T's LTE network.  

Once HD Voice is brought to my area, will my device automatically be able to use it?  Will other customers with non-AT&T branded/customized phones be able to take advantage of HD Voice, provided their device already supports VoLTE and their hardware is fully compatible with AT&T's LTE network?

Thank you!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

as of right now no it wont work it needs a firmware patch to enable hd voice(and as you stated att does not support the z3 lines).  The other cleavet is the other person has to have an hd voice phone and be in an hd voice area for the call to be in HD.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

no as of right now just like verizon att is doing it there way.

and by the way your phone is missing band 5,17 LTE which are ATT bands according to your post.  

EDIT:   but the white paper says its has the right ones so your good

D5803 UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV),
1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz
GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 20)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Hello Glimmerman,

Thank you for your response.  For clarification, my device is a Band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/13/17/20 phone.  It is the version built specifically for US and Canadian customers.

The list you provided from AT&T's website is very helpful for prospective AT&T customers or those existing custromers looking to buy a new phone in-house.

However, since it is very unlikely AT&T will add Sony devices to their linup in this generation (it has been a couple years) than I can be relatively certain AT&T will never add my device to this list.

My question is, provided A. My radio hardware already fully supports AT&T LTE, and B. My manufacturor already includes VoLTE support out-of-box, will AT&T's "HD Voice" service work?

I am not looking for any promises. I understand it is never the carrier's job to test and certify outside devices.  I would simply like to know if AT&T is perhaps using different protocols for their VoLTE compared with other carriers.  Is AT&T's VoLTE HD Voice is some way different from others?  Thank you.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

The phone is the unlocked version purchased at the Apple Store and paid cash. The fix is simple: 1) Youtube search for an AT&T iPhone 6 and look for the 'About' screen to copy the IMEI from or go to the AT&T store and look for a demo phone's IMEI, 2) Call AT&T and change your IMEI to that number (which is an AT&T Phone 6) Let the foreign iPhone go through Airplane Mode and when it connects it will be correctly provisioned. VoLTE should now work. AT&T simply does not recognize that other IMEI as it having VoLTE even though it does.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

How to enable
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.