Check for service outages
Kittylouise's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 28th, 2016 7:57 PM

Forced to Replace SIM?

I just recieved a message saying that I have to replace my SIM card to maintain my service or my phone wont work in about a month. It says to go to an AT&T store for a free replacement but doesn't that mean that I'll have to get a new number? I've had the same cell number for YEARS. Please advise. Thank you.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

No, your number won't change.  Your SIM card must be provisioned as 2 G only.  2G service is shutting down.  You need a 3G or better phone and a properly provisioned SIM card for service.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you! Do you know if I can order one online or do I have to go to a store?

Guru

• 

629 Messages

8 years ago

@Kittylouise 

Honestly, I believe you can order a sim from the ATT website.  However, I really believe it'd be much more efficient if you would head into a store.  That way, it'll get taken care of for you completely that day so you don't have to wait for the card to arrive and then call or go to a store to have it activated.  

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Yes, as @lcalle wrote its a 2step process if they ship a SIM card.  I would advise taking you phone in.  If your phone isn't 3G or better, you would also need a new phone.  If that's the case, you should do some research to get the best deal.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.