Explore & discover

Helpful Links

FirstNet Is the worst!!!

Contributor

FirstNet Is the worst!!!

3 days ago I switched to FirstNet. We have 1-2 bars at best. Half of the time ‘No Service’ and 4G. Notifications are very late. As a first responder I Depend on reliable service. The first net service is horrible and not reliable. As soon as I can I am going back to the AT&T store in demand My old service. I do not recommend FirstNet to anybody who depends on good reliable cellular service. 

Message 1 of 41
Tutor

Re: FirstNet Is the worst!!!

I was merely reminding you that it's still AT&T network as far as cellular
service goes. However, the customer service is completely separate. I
blame the representative that you dealt with for not explaining that to you
the need to respond to the follow up emails that you received regarding
verification of your professional standing in the First Responder Community.
Message 31 of 41
Tutor

My dept just began issuing cell phones on the FirstNet network.  The deal they had with FirstNet and ATT were for the iPhone 7S+.  We were able to get priority access to the network, but not very good signal strength.  Here's how it was explained to us.  Don't know how true it is, but I'll put it out there for y'all.  The Priority First Responder network runs in the 900 MHz range.  Down from there, the cell networks run in the 800 MHz and another lower frequency range.  When there isn't an emergency situation requiring the 900 MHz bands, FirstNet is authorized to sell the open bandwidth in the 900 MHz bands.  When an emergency comes up and FirstNet priority users start using the network, they will bump non-priority users from the 900 MHz bands, once that is filled, they will start bumping non-priority users from the 800 MHz bands, and continue on down.  We ran several tests during a major event in the city and were successful at bumping non-priority users from the bands, but noticed that the signal strength was extremely poor.  What it turned out to be is the iPhone 7S that we were issued wasn't compatible with the higher MHz bandwidths, so we were fighting for the lower bands.  After researching the iPhone models, the only iPhones that are/were compatible are the XR and newer.  Even my iPhone 8+ didn't work.  So we are now returning all the issued 7S+'s for XR's.  A coworker of mine switched from an iPhone X to the XR and was on FirstNet with both devices.  His signal strength doubled when he switched to the XR.  

Like I said, I don't know how much truth there is to this information, as it was just what we were told about what's going on with the roll-out of FirstNet cell phones for the department.    

Message 32 of 41
Highlighted
Tutor

I have an iPhone 6+ and after seitching to FirstNet my reception is very poor as well. I understand what you’re saying about older phones not being able to access the Band14 coverage but shouldnt our phones still have access to the same coverage my old “civilian” plan had? It doesnt make sense that my coverage should get WORSE going to FirstNet. I’m about to cancel and go back to “unlimited & more premium”.

Message 33 of 41
Contributor

as of 01/22/2019, I'm am truly a satisfied customer now that I'm no longer with First net and have returned to Team Mobile.Thank God. 

Message 34 of 41
Contributor

I am a first responder and been with ATT/Cingular for over 20 years.  ATT came to our agency marketing the FirstNet plan for 39.99 for unlimited talk/text.  My current ATT bill was 120.00 for unlimited and I had an Iphone X.  I bought the marketing hype and switched Dec 2018.  They swapped out my ATT SIM for a FirstNet SIM.

The service dropped approx every 15 minutes for 40-60 seconds per drop.  It was annoying.  At the time the iphone Xs Max came out and I wanted it, So i bought it outright at an ATT store.  I took my FirstNet SIM out of my X and stuck it in my Max.  NO service whatsoever.  Was on the phone with FirstNet for days and hours.  One time i hucked my new 1500 dollar phone across the room.  Finally went down to the ATT store which is an inconvenient drive and they gave me a new FirstNet SIM and it gave me service.  The service never drops with this new SIM and phone.

Jan 26, 2019, I am currently in Thailand on vacation.  Zero cell service while roaming.  called FirstNet and they told me i need a international pass.  i bought the $120/ 3gb plan. after 3 days and countless calls to Firstnet with my friends phone (ATT/iphone x/international day pass) i still have zero cell service.  i have reset the phone, turned it on off, data roaming on/off, etc.

i have never spent so much time on the phone with a cell provider. 

Message 35 of 41
Contributor

I am customer since Nov 2108, thru my police dept.  I must agree, it the worst service in all ways, looking to move on.  I would not recommend them.

Message 36 of 41
Contributor

I would wholly agree, I switched to this service thru my Police Dept., it is the worst.  I am not thrilled with ATT support or cellular service.  Looking to change.  I would not recommend it.

Message 37 of 41
Contributor

This is funny I thought I was the only one that thought firstnet was a joke!!! Service is terrible!!! I’m pretty sure with Verizon I would have had service on the moon, with att firstnet I can’t even get service on certain sides of a major metropolitan city!!! As far as that “separate spectrum” firstnet is on is also a joke, at a concert I couldn’t get out on my phone for ***!!!! Text message wouldn’t send until I left. I’ve been trying to resolve a billing issue with firstnet for some time now, they told me go to an att store, which also could not solve the issue and in so many words called firstnet inept. I believe it!!! 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 38 of 41
Contributor

I have been an AT&T customer for 10 years and switched to First Net and I can say that I really never had a problem with the service from AT&T.  It was never as good as my friends Verizon service but I wasn’t dropping calls.  Since switching to First Net unlimited I drop calls, have no service where I use to Always have service.  It’s terrible and now I’m stuck with terrible service.  

Message 39 of 41
Contributor

Make sure the international block has been removed. It's my understanding that federal guidelines force international blocks on FristNet lines and it has to be removed when the international plan is added.

Message 40 of 41
Contributor

I have the same problem with my iPhone X, which apparently is an FirsNet "Capable" phone!!  My question is/was: How much better is the service & signal with a FirstNet "Ready" Phone (ie. iPhone Xr & Xs)!??!?!?!?  Let us know.......I would like to wait for the next iPhone in Sept/Oct but this service/signal is HORRIBLE!

Message 41 of 41
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support