Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Does AT&T use Verizon's towers?

Highlighted
Tutor

Does AT&T use Verizon's towers?

I first moved into this home not yet a year ago and being in a rural area, have exhausted my search for wired service.  I first tried Verizon and it was blazing speeds for cellular but the plan was not what I wanted so switched to AT&T - with whom I am quite happy with.  However, the AT&T speeds are 1/4 or less than those of the Verizon service.

Thinking I'd improve my service, I purchased a directional cell antenna system.  It has helped but revealed to me that AT&T is not using the Verizon tower that's just a couple miles from me to the NW.  My service (best AT&T signal) is coming from a town 5 - 8 miles away in the southern direction according to tower searches and signal strength.  And it's a third party tower although I don't know if that even makes a difference.

Aren't the cell towers these days shared?  If they are, how does one check to see if a carrier has actually established usage of a tower?  Perhaps something else is going on and it's not that the source of cell data has changed but instead some landscaping has changed and the Verizon test initially was a fluke.

Thank you

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Rotro123
‎02-11-2018 11:52 AM

Re: Does AT&T use Verizon's towers?

Each carrier has their own towers or they lease space on a tower.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 9
Contributor

??

Message 3 of 9

I have been trying to get AT&T to build a tower for months now I found a really close Verizon Tower nearby I can actually walk to it why cant AT&T just provide services from that tower if they don't want to build there own tower we are located in a subdivision with lots of homes and nearby businesses and churches if Verizon can provide services it looks like AT&T would

Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

@t3ch_guru2022 wrote:

I have been trying to get AT&T to build a tower for months now I found a really close Verizon Tower nearby I can actually walk to it why cant AT&T just provide services from that tower if they don't want to build there own tower we are located in a subdivision with lots of homes and nearby businesses and churches if Verizon can provide services it looks like AT&T would

LOL it does not work like that.  It take a MIN 2 years for a tower to be planned to lite up.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 9

ok that's fine what's taking them so long its been 30+ years since Ive lived in this city  and there is still no service my house was built in 1973

Message 6 of 9

this is an article from 2017 whats the problem

AT&T and Verizon have partnered with a third company to build hundreds of cell towers, Verizon announced today. The third company, Tillman Infrastructure, is a private company that makes and owns towers, and it will construct the towers to suit AT&T and Verizon.

The new towers are going to be added in locations in need of more coverage. AT&T and Verizon may also relocate equipment from current towers to serve these new ones.

It’s notable that the two carrier giants chose Tillman Infrastructure, a relatively small company based in New York, instead of any of the top three cell tower companies in the US: American Tower, Crown Castle, or SBA Communications. Executives from both carriers indicated that the decision to go with an industry underdog was purposeful.

Verizon’s chief network officer Nicola Palmer said these new partnerships would improve customer experience and also help cut costs. “It is imperative to reduce operating costs,” Palmer said. AT&T’s SVP of global supply chain echoed that sentiment, saying, “We need more alternatives to the traditional tower leasing model with the large incumbents. It’s not cost-effective or sustainable.”

Construction on the first towers will begin early next year, and the towers will go live soon after they’re built.

Message 7 of 9

AT&T also is no longer maintaining the Mark the Spot app its outdated to 2017 almost 2 years old  WHY!!!

Message 8 of 9
ACE - Sage

@t3ch_guru2022

It says “last updated July 20, 2018”.   

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support