Check for service outages
Mimidebecca73's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, March 28th, 2018 1:05 AM

AT&T PREPAID vs Postpaid coverage

I've read such conflicting comments regarding coverage comparison between prepaid and postpaid plans. 

If the coverage is really the same then why don't all postpaid customers switch to prepaid unless they just don't want to pay for the phone upfront?

Are there roaming fees with prepaid and does the prepaid plan allow you to access towers besides AT&T?

Is the data speed relatively the same?

Does AT&T give it's postpaid customers first priority and if so does this have a significant impact on the quality of prepaid service?

Are there many dropped calls with prepaid?

If you do try prepaid and find you don't have good coverage with it is it easy to switch back to postpaid? 

I'm concerned because the fine print states that once you activate a prepaid phone you can only use it with prepaid plans so how would I be able to switch back to postpaid if I had to?

Because of this caveat is it better to purchase my own unlocked phone through ebay and use it?

Thanks!

Emily

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Mimidebecca73 wrote:

I've read such conflicting comments regarding coverage comparison between prepaid and postpaid plans. 

If the coverage is really the same then why don't all postpaid customers switch to prepaid unless they just don't want to pay for the phone upfront? There are features and services available on postpaid not available on prepaid such as HD Voice, WiFi calling and international roaming.

Are there roaming fees with prepaid and does the prepaid plan allow you to access towers besides AT&T? There are no roaming fees. My understanding is prepaid is limited to ATT towers only.

Is the data speed relatively the same? All things equal, speed should be the same but all things are never equal. We do know that prepaid customers get a lower priority than postpaid customers. What that translates to speed wise, I’m not sure anyone but ATT network managers know.

Does AT&T give it's postpaid customers first priority and if so does this have a significant impact on the quality of prepaid service? See above.

Are there many dropped calls with prepaid? Don’t know.

If you do try prepaid and find you don't have good coverage with it is it easy to switch back to postpaid? Switching back is possible, don’t know how easy, though.

I'm concerned because the fine print states that once you activate a prepaid phone you can only use it with prepaid plans so how would I be able to switch back to postpaid if I had to? Any phone you use on prepaid will also work on postpaid.

Because of this caveat is it better to purchase my own unlocked phone through ebay and use it? Personal choice. Just be aware that those postpaid features such as HD Voice and WiFi calling ate only supported on ATT branded phones, except iPhones.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you. I really appreciate your input. Do you have a prepaid plan? If
so have you been happy with it or do you know anyone who has one who is
happy with it?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

My husband and I had prepaid for roughly 5 years as well as 4 of our kids. He was Military and it never seemed like a good idea to get into a contract situation with a phone company! Anyways, we never had any issues with connectivity, web, or any type of data uploads or downloads UNLESS we were out in the woods, mountains or places like that. I loved it. Now we are on postpaid and still have no issues what so ever.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

If the above answers are correct regarding prepaid plans using AT&T towers only with no ability to force a roaming situation, and no option to use wifi for other services like SMS messaging, then prepaid has some issues. There is also no online chat support for prepaid services. I'm currently in a part of the US with no AT&T tower. My prepaid AT&T phone won't roam. I have access to wifi off a Verizon hotspot. I could get by for a few days with the Messages App on a tablet over wifi, but AT&T sends the PIN to verify identity to your phone on their network, which obviously won't help me.  

I may be able to call AT&T on a borrowed phone, on the Verizon network, to verify my identity, to get a PIN, to at least access my texts. Maybe.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@superdiff

Nope.  Pin is sent by text to your phone only.  

You will have to relocate to have access.

FYI....  Verizon prepaid has WiFi talk and text.  They also have a double data promotion.  I got the $60 plan with 20 gigs

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Also be aware that prepaid customers can not use VoLTE, only HSPA.  HSPA does not have the same coverage footprint as LTE so there are areas where one can experience a strong LTE signal and yet not be able to place a voice call because there is no usable HSPA signal.  My home is in one of these areas.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

I’m also having this issue on prepaid. I’m not recieving incoming calls... I have full bars HSPA and I have good LTE. Anywhere from 1 to 4 bars. Sometimes it seems like my phone switches towers and possibly there is no HSPA on one of them, causing calls not to come through on the network. Someone with postpaid has the same service and switching of signal, but remains on LTE for calls and there are none amiss. AT&T simply refuses to provision prepaid accounts for proper voice communication, resulting in failed and missed calls as HSPA degrades. I’m just hoping no emergency calls are missed or work calls. I tell everyone to leave a voicemail. Kind of messed up for being the second wireless carrier... Verizon is sounding better 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@bkehrer

At&t has no inventive to improve if customers use and pay for a sunstandard service.   Verizon Prepaid has voLTE and Wifi calling as long as you have a compatible device (iPhone or Verizon android)

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Hello, 

i wanted to let anyone here know that I talked to a rep in detail after much issue with my reception and calls. It seems they have fixed my issue for now. The rep informed me that WiFi calling and VoLTE would be coming to Prepaid some time between January-March 2019. It’s the only reason I’m holding out and have not ported to Verizon. Let’s hope AT&T implements these features asap 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

There are MAJOR differences between AT&T postpaid and prepaid service including network differentials, service availability functions, and call detail limitations. A few specific considerations:

1.) Network tower restrictions - you will not be able to use AT&T prepaid in many areas where postpaid works. For example, between the southern fringes of the Boise ID MSA and Fernley, NV (eastern edge of Reno MSA) you will not be able to use your AT&T prepaid service. Period. That's roughly 5 hours of drive time at 80mph without a cell signal.  These types of differences are commonly found across the country, especially within the Great Basin region. 

2.) Call detail limitations. Using postpaid AT&T service allows customers the benefit of access to text conversation history - a feature not available (or even permitted by statute) on prepaid plans. Prepaid plans will only allow its users identify to which numbers texts are traded, a major drawback if you need access to important conversations for some critical reason. If you use AT&T prepaid or any other prepaid plan, be sure to back up your phone to an SD card frequently if you want to securely save your text history. 

3.) Family functions - Operating a family type plan on AT&T prepaid isn't very practical, especially if you're looking for centralized oversight via a single user. While more expensive, if you want family type features out of your cell phone service with AT&T, I strongly recommend postpaid.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.