Check for service outages
ORDreamWeavr's profile

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 26th, 2013 8:02 PM

Cell tower outage

Hi, I have suddely gotten very bad cell reception (no bars) at my house. It started about 5 days ago. How long should I have no reception? Salem Oregon

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

11 years ago

Hello ORDreamWeavr,

Are you still having problems? Let me know if you need help.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I am having that problem.  I used to have a perfect signal at my home.  Unfortunately, for the last few weeks I barely have a signal at all when I'm at home.  How do I know if the tower I normally use at home is down?

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

I had (have) this problem too.  The only problem is the other carriers in the area aren't any better for reception, and I've been happy with AT&T for years (back to the CIngular days)..

But...

We used to have a tower, most likely a repeater, at a farm about 5 miles from us as the crow flies.  We got excellent reception.  4-5 bars all the time, even in the house, and in the basement.

About a year or so ago we noticed we dropped to 1-2 bars, sometimes no signal.  We took a drive and the tower was gone.   AT&T had no record of the tower according to the person I talked to.  They stated if it was a repeater it wouldn't always be in their records.  (hmmm..)

I called AT&T and even had the problem escalated to what seemed like upper management.  But, they'd always call me on Saturday at odd hours and leave a message.  I'd call back and of course get their voicemail and leave a message stating YES, we still have the problem.  Then they simply stopped calling.

It took so much work to even get to that point I'm hoping someone sees this here and I can contact them directly to get the ball rolling again.  We just got new phones (my wife and I) and it isn't any better for signals.  

I'd even be willing to put a tower/repeater on my rooof/property if AT&T wanted to extend their coverage to what is a dead spot out here it seems now.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello @ltoneil 

I'd start with getting a new SIM card, in many cases it resolves reception issues. If that doesn't help, you can download AT&T's Mark The Spot app, it allows you to report network issues and that'll create tickets for AT&T to investigate and work on.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hey @legbuh 

It sounds like there was a portable tower in area but then it got removed. I'm not sure if it's possible to find out why, or it could have even been another company's equipment that your phone was using for roaming. But for your home, AT&T offers a device called Microcell. As long as you have a high speed Internet connection, it will act as your personal tower and provide full coverage in and around your house.

More information is available here.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

I'm not interested in a 3G solution or one that uses our internet.  

Our internet is slow enough as it is, and if I wanted that I'd go the VOIP route.  Our ISP is stuck in the 80s limiting uploads to 1m and downloads to around 5m.  Down is good enough but up is terrible, and that's a huge bottleneck in today's "cloud" world.

I would be interested in this:

http://cel-fi.com/product/cel-fi-signal-booster-for-att

Except there's no way I'm paying almost $600 for it.

I live in an area that just doesn't get good signal from AT&T.  It used to be phenominal and no longer is (through no fault of my own).

I'm willing to help, but not on my dime.  Phones/service are expensive enough that we should come to expect good service in dead areas like ours.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I don't think it's the sim card as the problem affected all of our family's cell phones at the same time.  It seems unlikely that all sim cards would become defective at the same time.  Is there some other possibility in the sim card that would be suspect?

Also, I do have high speed internet but it isn't provided through AT&T.  Will the device you mentioned still work and is there a monthly fee for the device?

I don't know anything about a portable tower.  I didn't even know a portable tower would be used short of some disasterous emergency.  

Thanks for your advice.  Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Guru

• 

901 Messages

10 years ago

Regarding your high speed internet provider, it shouldn't matter who it is.  The device just uses the internet to get the signal.  Most of the time if you are in an area with terrible service the fee is normally waved, but I would talk to CS about that.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I'm frustrated with the amount of tower outages, especially all three in my town in my vicinity! I'm sorry AT&T, but how many tower outages do u currently have right now? How many tower outages vs. the number of towers , you claim to be largest. 75% of the time I only have 2 bars/circles! I've waited over 4 years for one of our towers to be fixed!

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

AT&T Cell service is out in Washington NH today! the only tower in town ;-(

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.