Check for service outages
timbuk2okc's profile

Scholar

• 

419 Messages

Friday, July 18th, 2014 3:35 PM

Cell phone reception and boosting options

One phone on our 6 phone account recently moved to a somewhat remote area on Lake Raymond Gary near Towson, OK (Near Hugo) The phone varies from no signal to 3 bars and of course we were looking into cell phone signal boosters which are either questionable (to say the least) or highly expensive ($299 to $599) Using it on Internet is questionable because it's satellite instead of cable.  Seems like I recall a few years back calling in and support sent some code to my phone or told me how to boost the signal strength.  Is this still possible?  Would a newer smart phone work better than our basic phone.  Another phone on our account uses an old Razr V3 because it's the only phone he's tried that will get voice reception in his house.

Any advice?

Thanks

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello @timbuk2okc 

You're right, a Microcell from AT&T will not work with satellite internet. A newer smartphone might get a better reception, but the only way to find out for sure is to test it out there. Another benefit is that, with a smartphone, even if it still has some reception issues, they can use calling or texting apps on wi-fi, which might work well as a workaround.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Scholar

• 

419 Messages

10 years ago

I had my HTC One there and it only picked up about one bar some of the time, none some of the time. I suppose I'll research the calling apps over wifi you mentioned.

Thanks

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

You're welcome, I know Skype can be used for phone calls, but for a small fee, and there is of course the Google Voice, it's very popular, and I think domestic calling is free.

Dmitriy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.