For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
Grandmacarol's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, May 1st, 2019 6:55 PM

Cell Service at Home

I have two cell phones - Samsung Galaxy S4

We do not have service in my home or neighborshood.  Max. bars is one - states emergency call only.  Trying to call out and the call is dropped.

Phone does not ring when receiving calls - goes to VM.  

Any suggestions?  I want to upgrade my phone, but if the network is the problem why spend the money.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

If it's been happening with two phones, it's most likely not the device, so upgrading won't help. Newer phones will have Wi-Fi Calling but that won't help outside the home. I'd switch carriers. Of course, you can always upgrade and try out a new phone to see if it helps. If it doesn't, return the phone within 14 days and cancel service.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

There's no single carrier that is guaranteed to provide service where you live. Ask your friends and neighbors who live in the area which cell carrier they use, and how their coverage is. If you find one that a lot of people get good coverage with in your area, open a single line of service to try it out. If it works, port over your AT&T numbers, and you're good. If not, try another one. But in some areas, you'll find no one has good service, so there's not much point in leaving AT&T.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I am using "Mark the Spot"  Just receive gerenic messages?

Wifi Calls - is not available on my phone.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you!  Researching other carriers.  Any Suggestions?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I have only within the last month or two started having same issue.  We have three Samsung galaxy phones in the home.  The most any of us ever get is one bar.  Most often the phones are completely useless in the home for texting or calling as usually it says emergency only. It amazes me that with all my services, giving ATT 500+ dollars a month, I can't use three cell phones in my own home.  When I called, I was told "well ya know trees and construction affect the signal.  You should go buy a third party booster".  Seriously?    ATT used to at least pretend to have some basic semblance of customer service.  I guess they are so wealthy they have enough customers that they don't have to care anymore.  Good thing I kept my land line!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

When I called, I was told "well ya know trees and construction affect the signal.  You should go buy a third party booster".  Seriously?

@utl_tb So what would you expect them to say? It’s not like they can put up another cell tower for you. Calling customer support for issues like yours is a waste of time. There is absolutely nothing they can do but listen to you. I have never had good coverage in my home but home use is not what I got cellular service for. However, with WiFi calling my coverage in my home is now great, to the point I could give up my landline.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the reply, but I didn't ask for a personal tower. I do expect
though that when I call (any) customer service with a NEW/RECENT problem,
that they at least make an attempt to confirm the three towers they say
serve me are in WORKING order and producing a signal strength that is
expected. It would be different if I hadn't lived in the same location for
15 years and always was able to get plenty of signal to be able to make a
phone call or send a text. I don't know anything about wifi calling, but
will look into that. Thanks again.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for your information. I finally upgraded to two Samsung Galaxy
S10's and switched to Verizon, So far so good!

Grandmacarol
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.