For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
squirrel9's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, October 24th, 2016 3:55 AM

Band 30 weak signal / Band 2 OK / how to prevent Band 30?

I'm getting TERRIBLE signal on LTE Band 30 -- usually around -117.  My phone (Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge) switches betwen Band 30 and Band 2, which usually gets a good signal around -100.  Is there some way I can just turn Band 30 off, and restrict my phone to a band that actually provides a proper amount of signal strength in my area?

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

nope that is not possible.  the phone picks the better signal in most cases.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately for me, while Band 2 ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS provides better signal, my phone tends to pick Band 30, which usually doesn't provide enough signal to carry on a conversation.  Perhaps I just need to get rid of AT&T and get a "real" cellular service provider.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@squirrel9 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately for me, while Band 2 ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS provides better signal, my phone tends to pick Band 30, which usually doesn't provide enough signal to carry on a conversation.  Perhaps I just need to get rid of AT&T and get a "real" cellular service provider.

@squirrel9

or turn off enhanced LTE services then the call wont go thru volte......  Not all carriers are going to have the coverage you need in every area its just how it is.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

OK, so that's kind of what I'm asking about -- how do I get out of this "trap" that Band 30 puts me in, when I can reliably get a perfectly decent signal from Band 2?  I'll certainly try turning off Enhanced LTE, but could you educate me a bit about what "the call won't go through volte" means?

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

VoLTE or HDvoice as att calls it sends your call thru the internet instead of regular phone switches.  Kind of like vontage.  Have a read below.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/hd-voice.html

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the further information.  I've read quite a bit about VoLTE, but nothing really described it quite so simply and to the point.  Thanks again!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I'm having the same problem since band 30 has been added to my area ,battery life is horrible now, my phone (note 5) autoswitches to band 30 when I go outside..I have better signal in buildings! (On band 2)!!!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.