Check for service outages
BigBill5054's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, February 22nd, 2015 9:35 PM

Accountability

We have been ATT customers for many years and generally have been satisfied with the service. Then about six weeks ago suddenly things started to change. One day we saw “no service” indicated on the 2 I Phones we have at our mountain home. As we are in the mountains we can understand an occasional glitch so no immediate concern. Then as the day progressed and we continued to see “no service” we did grow more concerned. Starting with various chats through the ATT web site we were offered a variety of different stories many of which were in direct conflict. One story offered that ATT had taken over the tower that provided our service, they were in the middle of upgrades that would interfere with service for a week but when complete the service would be better than ever. After a week of waiting still no service so again contacted ATT through chat and was told that ATT had not taken over any tower nor did they intend to and further elaborated that there is no way anyone at the chat desk would have that type of information available to them. Feeling very helpless and unable to reach anyone with ATT that seemed to care I stumbled on the ATT Community and posted a note “How can I get ATT to respond.” The next day I got a note from Charise asking me to tell her more about my situation through the private message vehicle of the ATT Community. I thought that maybe I had been able to contact someone who cared and would make an effort to help but unfortunately that was not the case. When I wrote Charise I explained that we had suddenly lost the long time service that was available at our mountain home and was asking for help in getting the situation resolved. I went on to explain that we were long time customers with ATT and wanted to remain so but that we did need a solution to the problem as no service was not an option. The reply we received the next day did little to help. “We appreciate your feedback and understand how important it is to have service. We looked into this and show that the address you provided is unfortunately out of our service area. The nearest AT&T cellular tower is a bit over 20 miles away. At that distance, the signal from us will not be where you need it to be. We have not purchased nor taken over any of the partner towers in that area, nor do we show this will be the case anytime in the foreseeable future. Since we don’t control the towers that provide partner coverage, we have no control over the service there. It’s possible the provider that owns those towers has had outages or has changed the direction of the signal output for their customer base. Most of, if not all cellular providers in the United States have agreements with all other carriers to let you use their towers with your providers service when it’s available, however we are unable to guarantee that availability, as we have no input on what that provider will do with the service in any particular area. If you decide to stay with AT&T, which we hope you will, you may want to look into possibly getting a cellular booster for your home in Colorado and this may help with the signal there.” Us buying a booster, us paying for additional internet bandwidth to support the service we already pay for with ATT and these might improve conditions? Accountability is a valued trait displayed by professional individuals and quality organizations. Hard for me to find any accountability displayed by Charise.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @BigBill5054

I’m sorry you have found our service to be insufficient in this area. From your contact with us, we were able to find that this particular location is not within an area of AT&T provided coverage, but may fall in the coverage area of a third party, which explains why you were receiving service up till now. This is also shown via our online Coverage Map where it is stated:

“The areas shown in tan depict coverage provided by unaffiliated carriers. In these areas, the signal should be strong enough for on-street or in-the-open coverage, but may not be sufficient for in-vehicle or in-building coverage.”

The Microcell option would be the best option to provide an immediate resolution to the in-home service issue. Aside from a Microcell, I would recommend using our Mark The Spot app to provide feedback on the area. This is used to plan future network enhancements. We realize you won't be able to report network issues from the app without wireless service but you can mark a place on the map and report the issue when service has been restored or you can use Wi-Fi. Visit the app store for your device manufacturer and download the AT&T Mark the Spot app.

Mark the Spot is free for AT&T customers to download:

For more information on using the app please see here.

As the third party towers are not in our control, and we do not provide coverage to the area through AT&T towers, we are unable to affect the level of service you will receive in this area. The tower owner holds full control over the service provided in that location.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

9 years ago

How could Charise have shown "accountability" in your eyes?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Accountability When we (ATT and I) entered in to the 2 year contract (a
succession of many 2 years contracts I will add) ATT provided service to
this location. I claim to be no expert on the fine print in the ATT contract
but it seems that ATT violated the contract when they stopped providing
service here. I have done nothing different but ATT has and as a result they
offered me several choices. 1) Buy another piece of equipment and incur
additional charges through my internet provider which may or may not help my
situation, clearly not a good option for me. And 2)is to leave ATT and for
me to pay ATT a penalty because ATT stopped providing a service which I was
buying from you.

It seems that Charise as a representative of ATT could and should have
acknowledged the fact that the issue is being caused by a change in the
service provided by ATT. In being accountable for that change why do they
penalize me?

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

9 years ago

@BigBill5054 wrote:
Accountability When we (ATT and I) entered in to the 2 year contract (a
succession of many 2 years contracts I will add) ATT provided service to
this location. I claim to be no expert on the fine print in the ATT contract
but it seems that ATT violated the contract when they stopped providing
service here. I have done nothing different but ATT has and as a result they
offered me several choices. 1) Buy another piece of equipment and incur
additional charges through my internet provider which may or may not help my
situation, clearly not a good option for me. And 2)is to leave ATT and for
me to pay ATT a penalty because ATT stopped providing a service which I was
buying from you.

It seems that Charise as a representative of ATT could and should have
acknowledged the fact that the issue is being caused by a change in the
service provided by ATT. In being accountable for that change why do they
penalize me?

Charise and ATTMobilityCare have made it clear the AT&T has never provided service to your address. If you received service there in the past it was because of another provider's network. Therefore, if anything has changed, it's due to that other provider. 

It seems you want AT&T to take responsibility for something completely out of its control. That's not a reasonable request. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.