For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
jlee0909's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, April 6th, 2016 10:44 PM

AT&T PREPAID vs. Cricket

Cricket is owned by AT&T, Cricket is cheaper, and Cricket uses the AT&T network, so I thought why not switch to Cricket. I read on the forum that AT&T has faster download speeds.

I've also been hearing that the cell reception is not the same. A friend who has AT&T was in the remote Santa Cruz mountains, and he had cellphone service for calls and internet, but others who had Cricket, T-Mobile, and Sprint had no service.

Are there other disadvantages with going with Cricket?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I do have HD voice. Cricket has HD voice for supported phones.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I have used Cricket hot spots and cell phones for at least 5 years with good reception at my home in Lake Geneva, Wis area. Was just fine for me with one phone a hot spot since no internet provider near my home which is 1 1/2 miles from main road. Good phone, good hot spot and now that ATT took over, it is terrible. 1 bar and not much 4g or Lte. I read that ATT switched Cricket CDMA to GSM and I think that is the problem. Also I think that these unlimited data plans are clogging the airways. I have read that none of the carriers, including Verizon are any good, unless you are in a populated area. Cricket was good. ATT is not.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

You are wrong. You can have hot spot, which I have had for 2 years on Cricket. You just can't have it on lower plans or unlimited plans and it costs a mere $10.00. Did work great until ATT took over

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

You can find reduced prices on phones at Cricket on line and sometimes in store. I bought a $150 LG Stylo 2 on line special for $49 included sim card and free shipping and came in 2 days.I have autopay which is great. Never have to worry. Was fine, but since ATT took over it is no longer satisfactory. I also have to say that Cricket customer care has always been very good. I hear people complain about their service, but I never had a problem.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Yes, Cricket is ATT now on GSM network. My experience has been great with
the service and hotspot. If your using a CDMA network phone you might need
to get a new SIM card or a GSM phone.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

As of typing this, AT&T is also better for family plans consisting of 5 lines. My monthly bill for 5 people is $180 at 20 GB. For Cricket, it's either $150 ($50 + $40 + $30 + $20 + $10) for a measly 8 GB or $200 ($60 + $50 + $40 + $30 + $20) for "unlimited" data for 5 lines.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

1. 8 GB per person is measly? Do you not have WiFi or are traveling a TON? For most people, even 4 GB is enough per month (per the Android Authority poll and others).

2. If the 20 GB is shared, then the base Cricket plan with 5 lines is much better: ($40 + $30 + $20 + $10 + $0) for only $100 and 4 GB each (also totaling 20 GB). And in that case, you don't lose all your LTE when another family member forgets to jump on WiFi.

3. 8 GB each is quite a bit of data, and is still cheaper ($150) than the $180 of the AT&T plan

4. You can also mix and match the data of each user, so for example you could have 2 lines at Unlimited and 1 at 8 GB and 2 at 4 GB for $150 ($60 (u) + $50 (u) + $30 (8) + $10 (4) + $0 (4)).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I see. My assumption was that the data is shared as per AT&T's family plans. Thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have regular ATT service unlimited with access to Mexico included. While in Mexico my phone defaulted to Mexico ATT network and did not connect..I had to rely on wi fi only...my friend had Cricket.  It accessed the American ATT lines in Mexico and worked!! I had problems accessing the wi fi pckg  I purchased on the ship.  He did not. Interesting..needless to say..I’m paying ALOT more for tradl  ATT Svc that did not work for me on my trip when it was supposed to.  Cricket worked well.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Do you having roaming turned off?  I was just in Cancun for 5 days and my wife's mine and daughters phones worked like champs.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.