Dellman87's profile

Guru

• 

815 Messages

Saturday, October 8th, 2011 3:07 AM

Closed

AT&T is not 4G.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/10/att-wants-4g-indicator-iphone-4s/

Can someone please stop AT&T from letting Apple add the "4G" Symbol on the IPhone 4s... Please. This has to stop. HSPA+ IS NOT 4G! I think AT&T did a good job marketing this to the community though...

Verizon LTE - 4G

Sprint Wimax - 4G

Those are the only 2 that should be labled as 4G devices. WHEN AT&T delivers LTE to the IPhone in the future, THEN only it should have the 4G symbol.

Please educate your friends and family, don't let AT&T trick you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

Hey Dellman, I hear you. Yep only the five announced cities for now, have the 4G network rollout. The map is a "ptojected" map of what the coverage will be when 4G is finally rolled out. There should be a notation on the map that its not actual coverage yet.

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

@Dellman87 wrote:

Can someone please stop AT&T from letting Apple add the "4G" Symbol on the IPhone 4s... Please. This has to stop. HSPA+ IS NOT 4G! I think AT&T did a good job marketing this to the community though...

Verizon LTE - 4G

Sprint Wimax - 4G

Those are the only 2 that should be labled as 4G devices. WHEN AT&T delivers LTE to the IPhone in the future, THEN only it should have the 4G symbol.

They did the same thing back when 3G was the buzz word.  Advertise one thing but delivers another... Only this time around, they are releasing the devices thats 4G capable and "will" pick up the network once the network is rolled out in your area. 

But the question is, are you in a 4G/LTE location that just got rolled out ; have a 4G device but still not picking up 4G/LTE frequency?  If so, call att, there suppose to be some sort of 'unblock' process or ota to allow the pre-delivered devices to finally access the network.

Until then, they sell the 4G devices to get these in the hands of customers who want them.

Alexxo: i just finished reading the link to the article you posted.  I agree guy, its all a marketing term.  ATT is good at advertising like that  when they dont have the means already activated to back up the claims. just like when they advertise "nations fastest network"  and that coverage map... that map.... we know the map is totally graphic "eye candy"

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

LTE and WiMax are also not real 4G either, so everyone would have to quit using that term.

It's just a buzzword nothing more

Guru

• 

815 Messages

13 years ago

"But the question is, are you in a 4G/LTE location that just got rolled out ." According to the map I do live in a 4G area. I live in Greeley, smack dab in that dark blue... So what does that mean? I thought 4G LTE was only in 5 cities. Does that dark blue represent HSPA+?

4Gish.jpg

@RicoLX wrote:

@Dellman87 wrote:

Verizon LTE - 4G

Sprint Wimax - 4G

They did the same thing back when 3G was the buzz word.  Advertise one thing but delivers another... Only this time around, they are releasing the devices thats 4G capable and "will" pick up the network once the network is rolled out in your area. 

But the question is, are you in a 4G/LTE location that just got rolled out ; have a 4G device but still not picking up 4G/LTE frequency?  If so, call att, there suppose to be some sort of 'unblock' process or ota to allow the pre-delivered devices to finally access the network.

Until then, they sell the 4G devices to get these in the hands of customers who want them.

Alexxo: i just finished reading the link to the article you posted.  I agree guy, its all a marketing term.  ATT is good at advertising like that  when they dont have the means already activated to back up the claims. just like when they advertise "nations fastest network"  and that coverage map... that map.... we know the map is totally graphic "eye candy"

1 Attachment

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

The dark blue on ATT's coverage map means HSPA+ is available.

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

@Ann154 wrote:
The dark blue on ATT's coverage map means HSPA+ is available.

Hey Anndroid154, I may have mistated. I thought the posted map was from the projected map link. I didnt know it was the actual map...

Guru

• 

815 Messages

13 years ago

Alright, thank you for clarifying. 

@RicoLX wrote:
Hey Dellman, I hear you. Yep only the five announced cities for now, have the 4G network rollout. The map is a "ptojected" map of what the coverage will be when 4G is finally rolled out. There should be a notation on the map that its not actual coverage yet.

Professor

• 

827 Messages

13 years ago

Both T-Mobile and AT&T consider HSPA+ as 4G.  HSPA+ is technically +21Mbps cabable (64 QAM).

HSPA 14.4Mbps 16 QAM is more common - but I wouldn't consider it 4G (iPhone 4S = HSPA 14.4Mbps).

Without backhaul - HSPA+ doesn't mean jack.

Without spectrum capacity - HSPA+ doesn't mean jack.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

Absolutely no carrier has 4G currently.  LTE, WiMax and HSPA+ all fall short of the requirements.  In time LTE and WiMax should hit the minimum requirements and HSPA+ can't.  But for now, everyone is lying when they say they have 4G.  So, while I agree that AT&T should stop the deception, don't hold back your indignation from the other carriers that are just as guilty.

(edit for spelling)

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

@drapetho wrote:

Absolutely no carrier has 4G currently.  LTE, WiMax and HSPA+ all fall short of the requirements.  In time LTE and WiMax should hit the minimum requirements and HSPA+ can't.  But for now, everyone is lying when they say they have 4G.  So, while I agree that AT&T should stop the deception, don't hold back your indignation from the other carriers that are just as guilty.

(edit for spelling)

I testify to that brethren. ATT is right now, where they were "trying to get" 4+yrs back. Too bad none of the carriers "really" get called-out by agencies that count. But I think weve conditioned ourselves to "accept" what ads we see.
testifiih.jpg.

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.