Wireless Forums

Posted Oct 7, 2011
8:07:56 PM
AT&T is not 4G.
Edited by Dellman87 on Oct 7, 2011 at 8:12:06 PM

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/10/att-wants-4g-indicator-iphone-4s/

Can someone please stop AT&T from letting Apple add the "4G" Symbol on the IPhone 4s... Please. This has to stop. HSPA+ IS NOT 4G! I think AT&T did a good job marketing this to the community though...

Verizon LTE - 4G

Sprint Wimax - 4G

Those are the only 2 that should be labled as 4G devices. WHEN AT&T delivers LTE to the IPhone in the future, THEN only it should have the 4G symbol.

Please educate your friends and family, don't let AT&T trick you.

Can someone please stop AT&T from letting Apple add the "4G" Symbol on the IPhone 4s... Please. This has to stop. HSPA+ IS NOT 4G! I think AT&T did a good job marketing this to the community though...

Verizon LTE - 4G

Sprint Wimax - 4G

Those are the only 2 that should be labled as 4G devices. WHEN AT&T delivers LTE to the IPhone in the future, THEN only it should have the 4G symbol.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 8, 2011 3:16:24 PM
(0)
Professor
Hey Dellman, I hear you. Yep only the five announced cities for now, have the 4G network rollout. The map is a "ptojected" map of what the coverage will be when 4G is finally rolled out. There should be a notation on the map that its not actual coverage yet.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)
Accepted Solution

AT&T is not 4G.

[ Edited ]
11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 4:49:51 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Oct 8, 2011 at 4:54:17 AM

Dellman87 wrote:

Verizon LTE - 4G

Sprint Wimax - 4G

They did the same thing back when 3G was the buzz word.  Advertise one thing but delivers another... Only this time around, they are releasing the devices thats 4G capable and "will" pick up the network once the network is rolled out in your area. 

But the question is, are you in a 4G/LTE location that just got rolled out ; have a 4G device but still not picking up 4G/LTE frequency?  If so, call att, there suppose to be some sort of 'unblock' process or ota to allow the pre-delivered devices to finally access the network.

Until then, they sell the 4G devices to get these in the hands of customers who want them.

Alexxo: i just finished reading the link to the article you posted.  I agree guy, its all a marketing term.  ATT is good at advertising like that  when they dont have the means already activated to back up the claims. just like when they advertise "nations fastest network"  and that coverage map... that map.... we know the map is totally graphic "eye candy"

Dellman87 wrote:

Verizon LTE - 4G

Sprint Wimax - 4G

They did the same thing back when 3G was the buzz word.  Advertise one thing but delivers another... Only this time around, they are releasing the devices thats 4G capable and "will" pick up the network once the network is rolled out in your area. 

But the question is, are you in a 4G/LTE location that just got rolled out ; have a 4G device but still not picking up 4G/LTE frequency?  If so, call att, there suppose to be some sort of 'unblock' process or ota to allow the pre-delivered devices to finally access the network.

Until then, they sell the 4G devices to get these in the hands of customers who want them.

Alexxo: i just finished reading the link to the article you posted.  I agree guy, its all a marketing term.  ATT is good at advertising like that  when they dont have the means already activated to back up the claims. just like when they advertise "nations fastest network"  and that coverage map... that map.... we know the map is totally graphic "eye candy"

Re: AT&T is not 4G.

[ Edited ]
2 of 12 (1,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 9:25:31 AM
(0)
Employee
LTE and WiMax are also not real 4G either, so everyone would have to quit using that term.

It's just a buzzword nothing more
LTE and WiMax are also not real 4G either, so everyone would have to quit using that term.

It's just a buzzword nothing more
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 12 (1,412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 3:02:30 PM
(0)
Guru

"But the question is, are you in a 4G/LTE location that just got rolled out ." According to the map I do live in a 4G area. I live in Greeley, smack dab in that dark blue... So what does that mean? I thought 4G LTE was only in 5 cities. Does that dark blue represent HSPA+?

4Gish.jpg

RicoLX wrote:

Dellman87 wrote:

Verizon LTE - 4G

Sprint Wimax - 4G

"But the question is, are you in a 4G/LTE location that just got rolled out ." According to the map I do live in a 4G area. I live in Greeley, smack dab in that dark blue... So what does that mean? I thought 4G LTE was only in 5 cities. Does that dark blue represent HSPA+?

4Gish.jpg

RicoLX wrote:

Dellman87 wrote:

Verizon LTE - 4G

Sprint Wimax - 4G

4 of 12 (1,405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 3:03:55 PM
(0)
Professor
The dark blue on ATT's coverage map means HSPA+ is available.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :smileyhappy:
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

5 of 12 (1,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 8, 2011 3:16:24 PM
(0)
Professor
Hey Dellman, I hear you. Yep only the five announced cities for now, have the 4G network rollout. The map is a "ptojected" map of what the coverage will be when 4G is finally rolled out. There should be a notation on the map that its not actual coverage yet.

6 of 12 (1,399 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 3:23:30 PM
(0)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:

Hey Anndroid154, I may have mistated. I thought the posted map was from the projected map link. I didnt know it was the actual map...

Ann154 wrote:

Hey Anndroid154, I may have mistated. I thought the posted map was from the projected map link. I didnt know it was the actual map...

7 of 12 (1,395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 5:42:48 PM
(0)
Guru

Alright, thank you for clarifying. 

RicoLX wrote:

Alright, thank you for clarifying. 

RicoLX wrote:

8 of 12 (1,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 11:09:32 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by formercanuck on Oct 8, 2011 at 11:11:45 PM

Both T-Mobile and AT&T consider HSPA+ as 4G.  HSPA+ is technically +21Mbps cabable (64 QAM).

HSPA 14.4Mbps 16 QAM is more common - but I wouldn't consider it 4G (iPhone 4S = HSPA 14.4Mbps).

Without backhaul - HSPA+ doesn't mean jack.

Without spectrum capacity - HSPA+ doesn't mean jack.

Both T-Mobile and AT&T consider HSPA+ as 4G.  HSPA+ is technically +21Mbps cabable (64 QAM).

HSPA 14.4Mbps 16 QAM is more common - but I wouldn't consider it 4G (iPhone 4S = HSPA 14.4Mbps).

Without backhaul - HSPA+ doesn't mean jack.

Without spectrum capacity - HSPA+ doesn't mean jack.

[ Edited ]
9 of 12 (1,369 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 11:31:28 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by drapetho on Oct 10, 2011 at 11:33:13 AM

Absolutely no carrier has 4G currently.  LTE, WiMax and HSPA+ all fall short of the requirements.  In time LTE and WiMax should hit the minimum requirements and HSPA+ can't.  But for now, everyone is lying when they say they have 4G.  So, while I agree that AT&T should stop the deception, don't hold back your indignation from the other carriers that are just as guilty.

(edit for spelling)

Absolutely no carrier has 4G currently.  LTE, WiMax and HSPA+ all fall short of the requirements.  In time LTE and WiMax should hit the minimum requirements and HSPA+ can't.  But for now, everyone is lying when they say they have 4G.  So, while I agree that AT&T should stop the deception, don't hold back your indignation from the other carriers that are just as guilty.

(edit for spelling)

[ Edited ]
10 of 12 (1,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 11:47:09 AM
(0)
Professor

drapetho wrote:

(edit for spelling)

I testify to that brethren. ATT is right now, where they were "trying to get" 4+yrs back. Too bad none of the carriers "really" get called-out by agencies that count. But I think weve conditioned ourselves to "accept" what ads we see.
testifiih.jpg.

drapetho wrote:

(edit for spelling)

I testify to that brethren. ATT is right now, where they were "trying to get" 4+yrs back. Too bad none of the carriers "really" get called-out by agencies that count. But I think weve conditioned ourselves to "accept" what ads we see.
testifiih.jpg.

11 of 12 (1,176 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 11:19:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

The most rotten part of all of this is that I bought the Acer Aspire AO 722 netbook on an upgrade/contract renewal because it was advertised as a 4G device...I have been fighting with them for nearly 8 months now because I found out from Acer the machine they sent me IS NOT 4G.  It has a 3G modem in it, it will not ever access 4G, basically they palmed it off as something its not on a network they dont have.  I keep getting the line about how the speeds are "comparable to 4G" and that "technically the HSPA+ is 4G".  What a lie!  and I am suckered into an obsolete machine and a contract obligation for 2 years! 

Dellman87 wrote:

4Gish.jpg

RicoLX wrote:

Dellman87 wrote:

Verizon LTE - 4G

Sprint Wimax - 4G

Dellman87 wrote:

4Gish.jpg

RicoLX wrote:

Dellman87 wrote:

Verizon LTE - 4G

Sprint Wimax - 4G

The most rotten part of all of this is that I bought the Acer Aspire AO 722 netbook on an upgrade/contract renewal because it was advertised as a 4G device...I have been fighting with them for nearly 8 months now because I found out from Acer the machine they sent me IS NOT 4G.  It has a 3G modem in it, it will not ever access 4G, basically they palmed it off as something its not on a network they dont have.  I keep getting the line about how the speeds are "comparable to 4G" and that "technically the HSPA+ is 4G".  What a lie!  and I am suckered into an obsolete machine and a contract obligation for 2 years! 

Dellman87 wrote:

4Gish.jpg

RicoLX wrote:

Dellman87 wrote:

Verizon LTE - 4G

Sprint Wimax - 4G

Dellman87 wrote:

4Gish.jpg

RicoLX wrote:

Dellman87 wrote:

Verizon LTE - 4G

Sprint Wimax - 4G

12 of 12 (880 Views)