Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
zqz51911's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, November 27th, 2013 12:08 AM

how to change my current postpaid plan to a prepaid plan

My plan right cost me almost $80, that is too much,

I just want to switch to a $25 per month prepaid plan

however, I am under an iphone 5 contarct with att,

how can I do? and I want keep my old phone number  as well

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello zqz51911,

You can definitely switch your account type to prepaid and keep your number. It's best to do at the corporate retail store or over the phone with customer service. You do need to keep some things in mind.

1. Converting your account into a prepaid line is essentially the same as canceling your postpaid account.
  1. It will generate an Early Termination Fee and a final bill.
  1. Your final bill doesn't prorate, so if you decide to do it, it's best to do on the last day of your current billing cycle.
  1. You can use your iPhone with a $25 prepaid plan, you will have unlimited text and 250 minutes of talk time, but no data.
  1. You'll need to add $25 to your balance on day one, because this plan is prepaid.
  1. Plan lasts 30 days, not a calendar month, so if a month has 31 days, your plan will expire on day 30 and you'll need to make another refill.
  1. With prepaid plan you won't be getting any discounts on your next phone purchase, you'll need to pay a full retail price.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.  You can send us a Private Message for assistance with your specific account.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Mentor

• 

57 Messages

10 years ago

Well  you  can  not  break  the  contract?  But  you  can pay  $  220.00  fee  to  break   the  contract? 

Know  about  the  pre-pay  phone  #   You  have  to  change  phone  #    I  tryed  that  to..  I  have  windows  phone..   I  pay   $ 105.00   

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

I am currently under a contract as well and I am thinking about switching to the prepaid plan.

My bill now runs about $95 a month after taxes.  I have an iPhone 5.

It appears I can get unlimited calling, unlimited texting and 2gb of data for $60 a month, right?  Or 3gb for $70.

I have never used a prepaid plan before, been with AT&T for many, many years.  They are now offering some pretty decent deals for family plans but I am single and just need the one phone.  It seems like AT&T is tying to get away from subsidizing phones anyway so ultimately we all will probably be buying them outright soon enough.  I just don't know if there are going to be any negatives that will outweigh the cost savings. 

When the new iPhones come out this year would I be able to use one of those right away?  Will I have to buy an unlocked one or just pay full, unsubsidized price?

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Breadfan wrote:

I am currently under a contract as well and I am thinking about switching to the prepaid plan.

My bill now runs about $95 a month after taxes.  I have an iPhone 5.

It appears I can get unlimited calling, unlimited texting and 2gb of data for $60 a month, right?  Or 3gb for $70.

I have never used a prepaid plan before, been with AT&T for many, many years.  They are now offering some pretty decent deals for family plans but I am single and just need the one phone.  It seems like AT&T is tying to get away from subsidizing phones anyway so ultimately we all will probably be buying them outright soon enough.  I just don't know if there are going to be any negatives that will outweigh the cost savings. 

When the new iPhones come out this year would I be able to use one of those right away?  Will I have to buy an unlocked one or just pay full, unsubsidized price?

Ouch - $95 a month for one line? I can definitely see how making the switch to prepaid is more enticing. What you stated above is correct. You can choose the $60 monthly unlimited talk and text plus 2GB data plan to use with your current iPhone. Some users have experienced problems with getting the data network to work correctly, but you should probably be alright. 

Personally, I have been a prepaid GoPhone customer for the last 4+ years and I love it. The service is great for the price I pay. My service only costs $300 per year; some families pay that amount per month! 

I will also add that support and other "regular" services for prepaid customers is not nearly as widely available as it is to postpaid customers. If you have a problem with your phone or service, it can be very difficult to contact customer support due to the limited options available. This forum is a great place to start, however. That is why it is important for customers to choose reliable phones and plans; to minimize their chances of needing extra assistance. 

You would be able to upgrade to the next model iPhone right away. You would have to pay the full retail unsubsidized price if you chose to go this route. The phone would not have to be unlocked, but I would strongly encourage purchasing an unlocked version. There are no upgrade eligibility programs with prepaid service unlike postpaid service. Also, there is no limit to the type or number of devices you can use on your prepaid plan. I was previously using two phones at once, switching my SIM card back and forth between them. I think you are making a smart choice in terms of saving money and using an iPhone. I have had absolutely zero problems with mine. Apple has proven itself to be top notch in reliability; at least in my experience.

Good luck and enjoy! 

Guru

• 

870 Messages

10 years ago

Gophone is an excellent service in quite a few ways and the price is definitely right. Switching from postpaid to prepaid gophone shouldn't lose your number.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

My phone bill is outrageous am wanting to go with prepaid what do I have to do to switch

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

6 years ago

You will need to pay off any obligations (NEXT or contract). Then you will need to go to a corporate store and port your number from post paid to pre paid.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.