Explore & discover

Helpful Links

from contract to prepaid?

Tutor

from contract to prepaid?

Hey all..

I have been thru contracts before..so,if I wanted to use a GoPhone while on contract,no workie,right?...unless I want to pay that lump sum to cancel?? i am not sure if that is exact,so thought I would ask the young wizards here..Smiley Happy

thx lots..peace...

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 16
Professor

Re: from contract to prepaid?

Hi there!

Do you mean can you use the SIM card on a Go phone? If so, you are definitely able place your SIM card in the Go Phone and use it as normal! Smiley Wink

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 16
Master

@Evandela wrote:

Hi there!

Do you mean can you use the SIM card on a Go phone? If so, you are definitely able place your SIM card in the Go Phone and use it as normal! Smiley Wink

~ Evandela ~

That's how I interpreted it as well.

Yes, you may use a GoPhone on a post paid plan if you'd like. Unless you're wanting to do something else we did not understand?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 16
Tutor

Thank you for the info...right now,I am on contract...however,I did have a GoPhone prior to,since I dont use it a lot..(old,ya knowSmiley Happy But, I so wanted the android,i just went to contract,instead of buying phone outright...so,no,I dont think there is a sim in my old GoPhone,but I would want to use my new phone,,I do love it...

Does that explain it any better...??? Sorry for the delay in responding,and thx again...Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 16
Tutor

Thx again..I was gonna say about the GoPhone...BUT,mI already said I wanna keep the new,cooll android..thanx again..Smiley Embarassed) appreciate it...

Message 5 of 16
Tutor

of course I meant I'm...Smiley Sad
Message 6 of 16
Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by txdogmom
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

@txdogmom wrote:

Thank you for the info...right now,I am on contract...however,I did have a GoPhone prior to,since I dont use it a lot..(old,ya knowSmiley Happy But, I so wanted the android,i just went to contract,instead of buying phone outright...so,no,I dont think there is a sim in my old GoPhone,but I would want to use my new phone,,I do love it...

Does that explain it any better...??? Sorry for the delay in responding,and thx again...Smiley Happy

Yes, you can use your Android phone on prepaid. You would just need a prepaid SIM instead of a post paid one. This is coming from a fellow Android GoPhone user myself. Smiley Happy

And you're welcome.

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 16
Tutor

Thanks!! once again..So,I guess i would have to pay the penalty to cancel contract..Smiley Sad.???.that won't be great,but in the longrun,would still save a ton of $$$$...

Guess I will go visit the att store..good guy is the mgr..& see what he says...& still keep my HTC Status Android,,.yay! love that phone,for sure..

Happy weekend to u..fredflash.jpg

Message 8 of 16
Master

@txdogmom wrote:

Thanks!! once again..So,I guess i would have to pay the penalty to cancel contract..Smiley Sad.???.that won't be great,but in the longrun,would still save a ton of $$$$...

Guess I will go visit the att store..good guy is the mgr..& see what he says...& still keep my HTC Status Android,,.yay! love that phone,for sure..

Happy weekend to u..fredflash.jpg

Yes, you would have to pay the ETF to cancel your contract and move to prepaid service. I would recommend paying your ETF at the end of your billing cycle, but you can choose when you'd like to.

You're welcome (again). Smiley Wink Have a good weekend, too!

Message 9 of 16
Tutor

What if you don't owe anything on the phone - you just want to switch from a regular plan to a prepaid plan.  Can you do that online?   

And, I don't have the phone in my possession now - I bought it for my son who has it in another city.  I just want to put him on a cheaper, prepaid plan since I'm paying for it and the phone is in my name.

Message 10 of 16
Employee

well there are no more contracts like there were when this was posted 7 years ago, but you can swap sim cards prepiad into postpaid and postpaid into prepaid all you want

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE FOLLOWING IS INCLUDED WITH EACH POST

While AT&T employees do look at forum posts from time to time, we are here to represent the forum with our experiences as customers on our own time and do not represent AT&T in any official capacity with our responses.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 16
ACE - Sage

@klddnp

To switch to prepaid is like changing carriers.  He needs a new SIM card.  He also needs to have the phone to make refills.  He will have a PIN code to manage his account.

I advise making the switch in a store, not online.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 16
Highlighted
Tutor

So, your saying that I can't switch without going to the AT&T store - from the service plan I have now, to a prepaid plan that I've had before - a couple of months ago (I switched to this one because his phone bill was high - he was letting friends use it to call everyone - everywhere, and to download all sorts of things - so I wanted a plan where I could check the usage. Now, I don't need that any longer and want to switch back).  I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you're saying.

Message 13 of 16
Tutor

I was afraid I would have to go back to the store.

I had him on the prepaid plan before … a few months ago, but decided to put him on this plan when I needed to start checking his usage.  I no longer need to do that, so I wanted to put him back on the prepaid so I could cut this bill in half again.  I didn't have to have a sim card before when he was on the prepaid plan … why would I have to have one now? 

I'm sorry but I don't understand this stuff … I'm an RN - I can possibly save your life, but I can't figure this phone stuff out.

Thanks

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 16
ACE - Sage

@klddnp

You can port him to prepaid and have a SIM card mailed to him.  I just don’t like doing it that way as you are sure to have a gap in service.  

You would have to have had a new SIM card each time you changed account type.  I assume he’s keeping his number each time. 

If you don’t mind my asking, is he disabled and in a group home situation?   If so it must be hard to teach him to keep his phone to himself.  Have you considered putting both of you on a prepaid multi line?  It would be the best of both... a limited plan, but you would have access to both and can pay both at the same time.  His usage would not effect yours on prepaid.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support