Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
adamhe's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, August 3rd, 2017 12:40 AM

Use current balance when change plan from prepaid to monthly plan

I plan to change my current 10¢ / Minute plan to $35 Monthly plan. I have about $200 account balance. Can I use the balance to pay for the monthly plan fee after the change? If so, I assume I won't have to pay out-of-pocket until my $200 is used first. Thank you!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Yes, your balance will be used to pay for the $35 plan as long as you don't enable autopay. However, make sure you check the expiration date. Your balance will be used until gone or until it expires. If needed, you can extend the expiration date by adding funds. Also be aware the 10 cent plan no longer exists. Once you change, you can't get it back.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster

I don't mean to negate or void your answer because the essence of it is absolutely correct. The $200 balance will be used first to pay for the new monthly plan and the only warning is the expiration date. However, yes, it WILL STILL be used first even if enrolled in auto-pay. Earlier this year, AT&T changed their auto-pay contract terms on their prepaid monthly service as follows:

If there is a positive balance on your AT&T monthly prepaid account and you are enrolled in auto-pay, AT&T WILL deduct your positive balance first, and the remain portion due will be drafted from your bank account. This will not affect your enrollment in auto-pay. You will still be enrolled.

I only know this fact because I spoke with customer service and was one of the first accounts to switch over to this new contract. Each customer needs to switch to agree to the new terms verbally over the phone for this to take effect. You probably have not done this yet and therefore, are unaware. However, the question was submitted in August of this year (2017). So I assume their switch was around that time. All monthly plans where auto-pay was elected after March or April 2017 were given the terms if this new contract and therefore, the use if a positive prepaid balance on a monthly prepaid account with auto-pay, would not affect auto-pay and would be used before payment is drafted from bank account. Also, I have personally had my positive AT&T account balance deducted before my auto-pay was deducted from my bank account at least 3 times so far. Hope this new info helps!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@DaniHughes If it truly works that way now, that is great. However, I’ve seen many complaints from customers whose account balance was left untouched while their autopay source was charged the full amount. Maybe it’s because the change was recent but you the first person to actually confirm it working this new way, at least the first confirmation I’ve seen.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.