Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Tethering with the new $65 GoPhone plan

Contributor

Tethering with the new $65 GoPhone plan

I'm currently using the $45 plan which allows both HotSpot and Tethering but the new information for the $65 GoPhone plan only mentions HotSpot.

I would like to know if I can still share my internet connection to a single device with Tethering on the new $65 GoPhone plan.

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Sage

Re: Tethering with the new $65 GoPhone plan

Our current understanding is no.  The previous $60 8 gig plan could tether.  

The $45 plan has increased to 6 gigs.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's unfortunate that they restrict what we can do with the data we pay for.

Message 3 of 8
Employee

In all reality it's not "the data you pay for"

The payments are for access to data and that means terms and conditions set forth by the carrier apply. You're free to use as much data as you want on the device itself. That's what this plan is for. Unlimited data on one device. The tethering issue has been discussed heavily here. Tethering adds another seat to the table and point of demarcation means that tablet, computer, smart TV, etc is now connected to the network. The GoPhone unlimited plan is for one device only. If someone needs tethering on unlimited, the postpaid plan allows for it.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 8
Contributor

From what I've been able to find out so far, Yes there is a post-paid plan that allows tethering.  However it's only 10GB of "hotspot", after which the speed is reduced to 128kbps.

The only exceptions seem to be "except for these products: Connected Cars, Laptop Connect, Hotspots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet.".

I'll be upfront here, my intention is to use 4g for my home internet.  Of these options "Wireless Home Phone and Internet" seems to be the best fit, that is if the data is not reduced to such an extreme after the guaranteed speed cap is met.  I would be willing to accept deprioritization.

I have a few problems with this which may just be a lack of updating to the AT&T website.  First is that it claims the Home Phone Base product is not available in my area.  This doesn't make any sense to me since I am able to access the AT&T 4G network via a GoPhone unless it is referring to physical availability via local store.  Or if there is some unexplained exclusion because of my location.  Second is that when trying to purchase the Home Phone and Internet service via the AT&T website there are only two plans to choose from and neither are the new Unlimited Plus/Choice plan.

This confuses me why the Home Phone and Internet service is mentioned when they don't seem to allow you to purchase it with said plan.

Message 5 of 8
Employee

If you qualify for the 500 gigabyte WHPI Rural package, get that.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 8
Tutor

not 100% sure on this either because i says its simply not allowed how ever a friend of mine changed his before his billing cycle ticked ill have to ask him how much tethering hes done and if the speeds have slowed since use , i live in an area where no viable internet options are available so this looks like what would be the answer to my problems

Message 7 of 8
Contributor

I tethering to my iPad using an older IPhone 4. Speed close to 1 mbps. When I put the sim back in my iPhone 6 Plus then it slows to 128 kbps. This on the prepaid $65 AT&T plan.  Not allowed on this plan but it works at slow speeds. Don’t think they really care if it stays at slow speeds. 

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support