Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Prepaid plan for a tourist?

Tutor

Prepaid plan for a tourist?

Hello,

I'll be visiting the US for three weeks in September, and would like to get a local (American) sim card to use during my stay. My needs are primarily for data (preferably 4G) and tethering that data for my tablet.

Some questions:

1. As a tourist, can I purchase a Prepaid sim card?
  2. Do I require a US credit card to do so, or can I pay cash or an international credit card? (mastercard)
  3. What are the data options, my usage will be quite high, would ideally like around 10GB of 4G data (with tethering/hotspots).
  4. Are there any restrictions on making calls using data (Whatapp or Viber calls for example).

thanks!

Andrew

Message 1 of 27
ACE - Expert

Re: Prepaid plan for a tourist?

@ATTDmitriyCM Would the same be true of the unlimited plus plan and tethering in Canada or Mexico?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 27
Community Manager

@sandblaster

I reviewed all the info we have on Unlimited Plus plans and there is nothing that says there is a limitation like that, so I believe the mobile hotspot should work even when roaming in Canada or Mexico.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 27
Tutor

@sandblaster @lizdance40 @ATTDmitriyCM Thank you for clarifying AT&T's position on tethering. I will go for the $45 plan when I arrive.

Message 18 of 27
Contributor

Hi, I bought at&t prepaid card for 45$ with 6GB dates, and unlimited calls and texts. And including free call and texts to 100 countries. I can call to Czech republic unlimited and free? 

Thank you.

Message 19 of 27
ACE - Sage

@Monika0

No, long distance calls are not free.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 27
ACE - Professor

@Monika0 
You can look for a long distance calling card cost for US$5 to US$20 when you're in USA.
There is a 1 800 number for making long distance calls for 1 cents to 3 cents per min.
You can use that with the unlimited calls .

Message 21 of 27
Contributor

I am going on a cruise from Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean and Mexico and would like to purchase a pre-paid plan in Fort Lauderdale before leaving. My needs are to be able to call from the ship in the above locations to Canada. The tourist plan does not allow for international calling. Any suggestions? Will be on cruise for 8 days.

Thank you for your assistance

Judy

Message 22 of 27
Contributor

Hi ATT team,

I want to know whether my passport will be good enough for buying a prepaid card for tourist purpose or any other document is required from my side?

Regards,

Raghav

Message 23 of 27
ACE - Sage

Prepaid service requires no identification.  I advise you pay with a prepaid, prepurchased card, not your credit card.  We get complaints often of auto pay being turned on and it’s impossible to turn off once you leave the USA.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 24 of 27
ACE - Professor

@Cruise  
Hi Judy,
 Don't think it worth all the trouble for 8 days.
 You cannot call from the cruise with AT&T prepaid.
 Calling from Cruise ships or using data at sea are F****** expensive !!!

FYI  !! Are you from Canada?? 
Why don't you get your service with Rogers ???
Rogers prepay roaming are working in the Caribbean and Mexico.
But roaming voice call is about Can$3.50 to Can$5.00 a minute. 

Message 25 of 27
Contributor

I live in UK but on holiday in USA I purchased (severl years ago) an AT&T phone , on pay as you go. I have been toping up the account and now have a large balance. As I visit the USA twice a year but never will never use  all the credit. I inquired at your store in Boston Ma and was assured that as long as I had a balance the phone would connect when I visited the USA again. But checking the phone to day (in UK) I had a msg. as follows " SIM not provisioned mm#2" help?

Message 26 of 27
ACE - Expert

@ormskirt Prepaid service does not roam internationally except Canada and Mexico. Getting that message from the UK means nothing because prepaid service does not work in the UK. As long as your prepaid account is open, you will have service when you arrive back in the US.

Message 27 of 27
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support