Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Minimum balance to keep number valid

Contributor

Minimum balance to keep number valid

I have a prepaid number and was told I only need to keep $10 credit on the line to keep it valid for a few months until I'm back in the US and once I'm in the US they can convert the $10 to apply to a $45 package (so just need to add $35). Is that correct? How many months will the $10 keep the number alive?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Sage

Re: Minimum balance to keep number valid

Not if your gone for longer than 30 days.  In 30 days the $10 expires and is gone.  In another 60 days your number and account are closed and gone.  

$25-99 last 90 days

$100 lasts 365 days.  

If the money expires before you return and use it, it's gone. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 7
ACE - Expert

All you need to hold your number is a positive account balance but as explained above, any money you add to your account has an expiration date. If you don't use it by then, it is gone. A $10 refill expires in 30 days. Since you have another 60 days to refill after it expires, $10 will hold your number for 90 days but you will lose the $10.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7
Contributor

I switch between the $45 Monthly Plan, when we are in the US and the 25 ¢ a Minute Plan

, when we are not. It does require about 20 minutes to get it done though:

I call this number from overseas +1800.901.9878 Choose technical support, something else and wait.

I explain the situation to the operator and they manually set the expiry date beyond my anticipated return date.

For the last couple of year, I have kept my number alive for up to 8 months, without paying anything beyond the $45 when we are in the US.

Message 4 of 7
ACE - Expert

@ianahe Glad that works for you but I’ve never heard of customer support manually extending the expiration date. I am skeptical that they would do that for anyone.

Message 5 of 7
Contributor

I just spent 9 minutes 31 seconds from dialup to hangup to technical support.

So here's the low down.

I asked to switch from my $45 plan expiring in 5 days to the 25 ¢ a Minute Plan and have the number be kept open till Christmas. The support person told me the number would expire on September 26, i.e. 126 days _unless_ I add $100 to keep the number open for 12 months from that payment date. Since I am planning on being back in the US before September 26, I should be good _without_ paying anything to keep the number till then. I will obviously lose the 4GB data left on my $45 a month plan in 5 days.

I do not know if this makes any difference; but my plan is data only, no voice and no text. I can receive both.

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Expert

@ianahe Your $45 plan is not data only. It also includes unlimited talk and text. Also, the $45 plan is no longer available so when you come back you will not be able to get it back. The replacement plan provides 2 more GB of data but it is $50. Also, if your number expires Sept 26, that must mean your current account balance expires in July. If you do not want to lose any money, do the $100 refill.

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support