Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
phatphug's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, July 19th, 2017 8:03 PM

Does AT&T PREPAID have a travel plan?

Hello,

I'll be visiting the US for three weeks in September, and would like to get a local (American) sim card to use during my stay. My needs are primarily for data (preferably 4G) and tethering that data for my tablet.

Some questions:

1. As a tourist, can I purchase a Prepaid sim card?
  2. Do I require a US credit card to do so, or can I pay cash or an international credit card? (mastercard)
  3. What are the data options, my usage will be quite high, would ideally like around 10GB of 4G data (with tethering/hotspots).
  4. Are there any restrictions on making calls using data (Whatapp or Viber calls for example).

thanks!

Andrew

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@phatphug   Geesh.  Still no reply.   Hang in there.   The website has no information, but users say the $45 plan has tethering.  We need clarification and to know where it is posted on the website or on the plan information.  

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Given the difficulty to get clarification from AT&T, I will simply presume that tethering/hotspots are not permitted on the prepaid plans. That isn't an unusual position (my own UK provider, "Three" has a similar policy).

In this case, I think the best option is that I stick with my UK provider (which also doesn't allow tethering, but does allow me to roam in the US at no charge).

Finally, just a general thought on this whole AT&T support process... I do find it irritating that I can't contact AT&T directly via email or chat. Or perhaps you just buried the contact details somewhere on your website. In any case, thanks for the community input into this thread.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@ATTDmitriyCM, would you please clarify whether the $45 prepaid plan still allows hotspot or not? We asked @ATTMobilityCare for clarification two weeks ago but no reply. @phatphug needs to know before traveling to the US.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@ATTDmitriyCM    Thank you got the answers, it is as we thought, don't know why customers are told no hotspot on the $45 plan.  

Sorry to ask for clarification, does this, "Wi-Fi hotspot is only available in the U.S. Data package stackable up to 6GB." Mean that hotspot only works in the US?  Not in Canada or Mexico?

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40

That's my understanding, yes.

Dmitriy

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Thank you again, I don't want to steer people wrong and we do get this exact question from people visiting the US and Canada.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@ATTDmitriyCM Would the same be true of the unlimited plus plan and tethering in Canada or Mexico?

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster

I reviewed all the info we have on Unlimited Plus plans and there is nothing that says there is a limitation like that, so I believe the mobile hotspot should work even when roaming in Canada or Mexico.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster @lizdance40 @ATTDmitriyCM Thank you for clarifying AT&T's position on tethering. I will go for the $45 plan when I arrive.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Hi, I bought at&t prepaid card for 45$ with 6GB dates, and unlimited calls and texts. And including free call and texts to 100 countries. I can call to Czech republic unlimited and free? 

Thank you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.