Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Decided to Switch to AT&T and now my phone does not work.

Highlighted
Contributor

Decided to Switch to AT&T and now my phone does not work.

I decided to switch from Straight Talk to AT&T Prepaid on 2/25/19 inside the store within a mall. The gentleman had issues trying to set my account up with autopay while processing the porting of my number so I ended up having to pay the $51.50 with my card. He tried to several times, porting my number over and activating my account but failed. Ultimately I had to leave because I was on my lunch break which put me 20 minutes over. Knowing I was going to be late after being in the store for about 30-45 minutes, I left my phone there and told him I would just need to come back and pick it up when I got off. He was nice enough to bring me my phone to my job once he got things straightened or so I thought. He also informed me that he issued a $50 credit to my account and for the next payment I would have to come in and make a manual payment in person and then after that he should be able to set me up for autopay. Tuesday morning while talking on the phone, my conversation was cut short and disconnected. When I tried to call my party back, I was greeted by AT&T's porting customer service. I spoke with a rep who was really sweet and was able to explain the situation. Apparently I must have provided the incorrect pin for straight talk and so I would have to furnish the correct one to fix the issue. I gave her my correct pin to which she had to call Straight Talk on conference. I confirmed my identity with them and after a long talk, they are claiming there is another company trying to port my number. I informed that rep that the only company I went to was AT&T in the mall who initiated the whole request. The two reps went back and forth before we finally ended the call with them.

The AT&T rep explained that in the current status my account was in, I would not be able to receive calls from any other providers outside of the AT&T network and if someone did call, it would go straight to voicemail. She was able to temporarily release the restriction so that I could at least text and make outgoing calls. She also said she was going to try and get things fixed on her end for me.

Yesterday afternoon I find out that my phone was not receiving text messages from anyone who isn't in the AT&T network as well. I spoke with several friends because of the silence and was told they tried calling me and texting me since Monday and just thought I was super busy. Earlier in the day, I had reached back out to the rep in the mall who was there when his colleague initiated the port and was told that he escalated it up and received a response that it would take possibly up to 24hrs to get it all fixed (3:45pm 2/26/19) and that I may lose service. I informed him how when it went into restriction mode the first time I just called in and the rep was able to lift it.

Well about 30 minutes, my phone went back into restricted mode and is practically useless. So to recap, I've paid $51.50 to transfer my service from Straight Talk to AT&T Pre-Paid $50 monthly plan with the auto pay option and have not been able to receive calls or text messages from anyone outside of the AT&T network and now, I am not able to make or receive text messages, calls or access the internet. If I would have known this all was going to happen, I may have thought twice about switching. I need someone in corporate to contact me via email.

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Sage

Re: Decided to Switch to AT&T and now my phone does not work.

AT&T has no email and does not provide support. Is email.  Prepaid customers must call or go back to the store.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Re: Decided to Switch to AT

Yes and that's where the problem is. I've called the customer service line
3 times this week and have had no luck. I've had to repeat myself each time
as if there were no notes in the system and all ended with the same
solution - none.
Message 3 of 4
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by sabrinatw
‎02-27-2019 1:17 PM

Re: Decided to Switch to AT

Not sure what ‘restricted’ means?   Is your phone still locked to ST?

Because you switched in a mall, it’s unlikely the store was an AT&T store, but an authorized retailer.   I suggest you seek out a company store for tech help setting up your phone.  Bring your receipts.  

FYI, if you had a red Verizon card from ST, your phone may be limited, need reprogramming and just may not work well on AT&T.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements...

Are you Missing Your BOGO Credits? If so, QuarryRye can you help figure out what happened and what to do about it!

Additional Support