Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
Buffaloguy's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, July 31st, 2016 6:38 PM

Cricket to ATT can i keep my cell number?

Visited an ATT store and they said no way that i would need a new number.  Is this the case?  Thanks

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@iPhoney

Pardon?

Area codes do not have to, and most likely cannot be changed.  You keep the whole 10 digit number.  A number is a entity unto itself.  If you have 123-456-7890 on Cricket and want to move it, it will be 123-456-7890 on any carrier you take it to.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

"Pardon?" That's what I said, when AT&T told me they would cancel my Voice ($19.99 Cingular) & (original) iPhone unlimited plans if I changed the phone number to my new local area code. So I've kept the old number all this time. They also still charge $0.75/minute roaming to make calls (even on their network). They use every trick in the book to get you on more expensive plans with less stuff. 

So the answer is actually NO, you can't (always) port another number (you're really signing up for new service in some cases).

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@iPhoney

If you kept an old plan, you pay old prices.  Including regional roaming and long distance charges.  

Back to your issue:   If you have a number, 123-456-7890, and want to KEEP it, you keep all 10 digits.  It is highly unlikely you can change the 7 digit number to another area code - that is a complete new number in an area code and may not be available.  

Again, your number is all 10 digits, not 7.   You can keep it.  Att owns Cricket.  

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

No, I'm forced to keep my out of state number by AT&T or lose all of my plans completely which would be like signing up as a NEW AT&T customer.

So I can't port the local Cricket number to my AT&T which is my point (I may be the exception, not the rule).

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

Not sure we are totally understanding each other.   

Totally do not understand what porting a number from Cricket has to do with the ATT Account and plan.  They may be telling you, you cannot add a line to an old Cingular era account.  They have been refusing to let people add lines onto the legacy unlimited plan. 

In these days of cell phones, “out of state number” will be less of a thing.  I have friends who have moved out of my area code and kept their (entire 10 digit) number, and people who moved into my area, who kept their out of state number.  

True, In some very rare cases, a very old regional number can’t port.   When you port a number, you port all 10 digits.   You can’t cherry pick the last 7.  

Is the old plan cheaper?    

FYI, they could cancel the old plan anyway.  Att has the right to change old plans even though they rarely do.  They just raised prices on the 3 year old Advantage plan.   They raised legacy unlimited plans 3 years in a row.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

I’m having the same problem except I have an Att account (15years) and now I want to switched to a pre-paid! The representative on the phone and the pre-paid website says nothing about changing numbers! What gives!? 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Pmata85 wrote:

I’m having the same problem except I have an Att account (15years) and now I want to switched to a pre-paid! The representative on the phone and the pre-paid website says nothing about changing numbers! What gives!? 

The only way to switch from AT&T postpaid to prepaid or visa versa, is to go to an AT&T store and have them migrate your number and provide a new SIM card.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.