Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Cricket to ATT can i keep my cell number?

Highlighted

Cricket to ATT can i keep my cell number?

Visited an ATT store and they said no way that i would need a new number.  Is this the case?  Thanks

Message 1 of 18
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Sage (ACE - Sage)
Accepted by lizdance40
‎07-31-2016 12:15 PM

Re: Cricket to ATT can i keep my cell number?

Yes you can keep your number. You could keep it if you went to any other carrier too. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 18
ACE - Sage

@sandblaster Is correct.

I have heard some problems with porting between Cricket to ATT with less experienced employees.  Please do the switch at an ATT corporate store with an employee who knows one end of the stylus from the other.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 18

Thanks. I will be sure yo find a competent employee. However, the one I asked was quite emphatic that it could not be done because Cricket and ATT were the same company. He said you need to come outside ATT to port.
Message 4 of 18
ACE - Expert

@Buffaloguy He might be right as to porting the number but there is no question you can still keep your number. Since ATT is the parent company it is possible that some other process needs to be followed to transfer your number, hence the need to find someone who knows what they are doing. 

Message 5 of 18
Teacher

Stay with cricket, att sucks
Message 6 of 18
ACE - Expert

@User3788340

FYI - Cricket IS AT&T

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Message 7 of 18
Contributor

Thank you

Message 8 of 18
Tutor

How about if there is an existing AT&T account and number?

Message 9 of 18
ACE - Sage

@iPhoney

Makes no difference, except the account owner of the ATT account AND Cricket Account user will both need to be in on it. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 10 of 18
Tutor

Great.

Now if the AT&T number has a different area code (old address) and the number from Cricket I want to keep and use with AT&T is the area code for the current address?

Message 11 of 18
ACE - Sage

@iPhoney

Pardon?

Area codes do not have to, and most likely cannot be changed.  You keep the whole 10 digit number.  A number is a entity unto itself.  If you have 123-456-7890 on Cricket and want to move it, it will be 123-456-7890 on any carrier you take it to.

Message 12 of 18
Tutor

"Pardon?" That's what I said, when AT&T told me they would cancel my Voice ($19.99 Cingular) & (original) iPhone unlimited plans if I changed the phone number to my new local area code. So I've kept the old number all this time. They also still charge $0.75/minute roaming to make calls (even on their network). They use every trick in the book to get you on more expensive plans with less stuff. 

So the answer is actually NO, you can't (always) port another number (you're really signing up for new service in some cases).

Message 13 of 18
ACE - Sage

@iPhoney

If you kept an old plan, you pay old prices.  Including regional roaming and long distance charges.  

Back to your issue:   If you have a number, 123-456-7890, and want to KEEP it, you keep all 10 digits.  It is highly unlikely you can change the 7 digit number to another area code - that is a complete new number in an area code and may not be available.  

Again, your number is all 10 digits, not 7.   You can keep it.  Att owns Cricket.  

Message 14 of 18
Tutor

No, I'm forced to keep my out of state number by AT&T or lose all of my plans completely which would be like signing up as a NEW AT&T customer.

So I can't port the local Cricket number to my AT&T which is my point (I may be the exception, not the rule).

Message 15 of 18
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support