Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
webmast552's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, September 12th, 2017 3:24 AM

Am I able to activate AT&T prepaid SIM just to receive SMS in other country, Russia for example?

hi! so the questions are -

1) I have AT&T prepaid from Amazon, not activated - am I able to activate it within Russia and send - recieve SMS, or I must present in US while activate? and do I need to turn on roaming before trip to Russia or it's turned already?

2) are these SIMs are usual US Mobile or they have different codes and IDs - are they eligible to login bank accounts etc? thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

7 years ago

You cannot active your AT&T sim card in Russia.
You need to have an AT&T postpaid account to have International roaming.
AT&T prepaid account only has roaming in Canada & Mexico.
The phone SIM card in North America is not that High tech. as in Russia or China that can

access your bank account or Credit card info.They are only for cell phone calls,text and data.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

561 Messages

6 years ago

ATT Prepaid does not work outside of North America.  Your phone / sim will not get service.  If your phone is unlocked, you could get a local sim when you arrive at your destination.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@adidaskid808 Actually, a prepaid SIM card can be activated from outside the US. if you are able to get to the activation web site. I recently saw a detailed tutorial from an Australian user on how to do it. Obviously, it is not possible to get service and it is also not possible to select a plan or fill the prepaid account but activating the sim and getting the number assigned apparently is possible.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster I know you can active the sim card outside USA online !

But  OP is in Russia,maybe he / she don't have an

US issue credit card to refill online,don't have a refill card /code to refill the account.

And OP cannot use AT&T service without roaming in Russia.

If I remember correctly,after the Sim card is active online,you got only 72 hours to refill your account and choosing a plan? If not,you will lost the number and the sim card is garbage ??

That's why I say NO !! Please correct me if I'm wrong.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

adidaskid808 wrote:

If I remember correctly,after the Sim card is active online,you got only 72 hours to refill your account and choosing a plan? If not,you will lost the number and the sim card is garbage ??

That's why I say NO !! Please correct me if I'm wrong.

@adidaskid808 My understanding is normal prepaid refill rules apply meaning you have 60 days to pick a plan and refill. I have never heard of a 72 hour requirement but I could be wrong.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster Yeah,Last time I activated an AT&T prepaid Sim card on behalf of my friend is back in 2010.His family need one for travel around USA for 3 weeks.

I am not sure do AT&T need an USA address to active the Sim and service now??Robot Indifferent

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

@adidaskid808

thank you, I was not mind this operator have no roaming in ru while local ones got - I'd not call them hi-tech, these options as bank login etc works somehow you wouldn't wish, I think you'd prefer it to just pick calls and sms every time, not give fake responces eg line busy or sms delivered while it's not or steal money etc, w/o any alternatives as 3 one and only operators are just the same)) so I need just a sim of different operator with roaming in ru and it should work..

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I already have a prepaid SIM activated.  But I am traveling to Russia in June.  What add-on do I need to pay for having data and calls there?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.