Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
vbezy61's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, June 15th, 2018 6:33 PM

About keeping number active

I currently have AT&T GoPhone (pre-paid, $2 daily plan) but am now living abroad and seldom need the line active (1 - 2 weeks max out of the year). Because I rarely need this line active, I prefer not to pay the $100 deposit to maintain it available 365 days a year just to activate when I am in the USA. If my line expires, but I enter the US with the same SIM card I have, are there options to temporarily activate a pre-paid account just for use during my trips to the US? Essentially, I am looking for a pre-paid SIM option that you might offer to tourists who come to the US and need access to a cell phone. I appreciate your advice on finding the best option for me. 

Guru

• 

561 Messages

6 years ago

If your line expires you have another 60 days from the expiration date to add funds to the account and use the number and account.  If you go past that, it is not possible to reuse the sim.  You will need to get a new sim and activate.  That is the only option offered by ATT as you are already aware of the $100 refill that extends the account and number for a year.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

So get a new SIM card with a new account and number each time you come but if keeping the same number is required, the only way to do that is keep your account open. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@vbezy61 I'd port the number out to Google Voice and next time you come into the country, get a prepaid plan and forward the GV number to the new number.

Or skype or whatever you choose.

It's not perfect, but it's not $100 a year.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.