Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T PREPAID Balance expiration vs Plan expiration dates.

Contributor

AT&T PREPAID Balance expiration vs Plan expiration dates.

OKAY so I am very confused about Balance and Account expiration dates and any info regarding the matter would be very much appreciated. I'm currently on a 60$ monthly GoPhone plan and my services renew every month on the 15th. I'm aware that you need sufficient funds in your balance to keep your phone active monthly, obviously, but what about the balance expiation date? Mine is July 12th which is 3 days prior to my plan expiration date. 

My Question(s) are:

If I have 0.00 in my balance AFTER my balance expiration date but have paid for the month before, will my phone go out of service early or will it roll-over to the new balance expiration date?  I'd still have a few days to avoid service interruption because my plan expiration is every 15th. I'm wondering if the balance expiration would interrupt my service at all.

My other question is this: Does the balance expiration time limit depend on the last refill of the account? If I wanted to extend the balance expiration by a year instead of every three months can I refill a few months early and would I get a new balance expiration date? Or would it have to be before my plan expiration date and before my balance expiration date to take effect?  I feel like trying to do so early would not work because my plan would take the funds out and I'd have to buy another 100$ card just before my balance expires to receive the new balance expiration date.

If you refill prior to the balance expiration date, do you lose those funds and still have to pay for the monthly plan? Or is it strictly for the purposes of obtaining a new balance expiration date.

Regards, Sheldon.

-My sincere apologies for the round-about questions I am just very confused on how it would all pan out.

Message 1 of 32
Contributor

Re: GoPhone Balance expiration vs Plan expiration dates.

That's great, thanks for the quick response! One last thing, if I add funds today will it automatically renew on the due date or will I still need to call?

Message 16 of 32
ACE - Expert

As long as the account balance is enough to pay for the plan, it will automatically renew. No need to call.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 32
Contributor

I have a prepaid sim which was activated Last December 19, 2017. It was enrolled to a 45dollar plan. It then expired last January 19. After a week, I did refill it but downgraded it to the 35dollar plan which also expired on February 19. Since then, I haven't refilled it and I am worried that if I refill it now with another 35 dollar plan, it will just expire on March 19 therefore not maximizing the plan and wasting my money. What is the best action to deal with this?

Message 18 of 32
ACE - Expert

@bertalipores If you refill now, your plan will expire in 30 days, not March 19.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 32
Contributor

Why did my plan expired February 19 after refilling it around January 26?

Message 20 of 32
ACE - Expert

@bertalipores wrote:

Why did my plan expired February 19 after refilling it around January 26?

Good question. If your plan started Jan 26, it should not have expired until Feb 24. Are you sure your plan expired Feb 19 or was that the expiration date for your last refill? There is a difference between refill expiration and plan expiration.

Message 21 of 32
Tutor

If I purchased an AT&T gophone refill for $100.00 in January 2017 at seven-eleven and never used it, is there anyway to access that money now. I have never had a gophone account, I thought is was a prepaid calling card. I do however have an AT&T Mobil account.

Message 22 of 32
ACE - Sage

@Hrambrose wrote:

If I purchased an AT&T gophone refill for $100.00 in January 2017 at seven-eleven and never used it, is there anyway to access that money now. I have never had a gophone account, I thought is was a prepaid calling card. I do however have an AT&T Mobil account.

You can sell it to someone with prepaid service.  The card can only be used for prepaid phone service.  No refunds, no credit to postpaid 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 23 of 32
Tutor

Is there any way I can check if it has expired?
Message 24 of 32
ACE - Expert

@Hrambrose Sure, log into your account. If you had a balance and it is now $0, it expired. 

Message 25 of 32
Tutor

I never had a gophone account. I bought the card in January of 2017. If the only way to recoup some of my loss is to sell it to someone with an account, I’d like to know it hasn’t expired. 

Message 26 of 32
ACE - Sage

@Hrambrose

A prepaid  card does not expire.   Once applied to an account, the account balance expires.  Since you never used it on prepaid ATT it’s still worth the $100

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 27 of 32
Tutor

Thank you so much!

Message 28 of 32
Scholar

Couldn't one just store an unused refill card next to the spare phone?  That way the money would never expire till you actually need it?

Message 29 of 32
ACE - Sage

@vartanarsen wrote:

Couldn't one just store an unused refill card next to the spare phone?  That way the money would never expire till you actually need it?

While the refill card won’t expire until applied on the account, the SIM card and account will.   A prepaid account with a $0 balance for 60 days is closed, number lost and SIM card not reusable.  

Message 30 of 32
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support