For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
xdeus's profile

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

Thursday, February 13th, 2014 7:34 PM

When will AT&T increase 150GB data cap for DSL users?

According to AT&T, 2% of the users use 20% of the bandwidth and the average user uses 21GB per month.  How old is this data?  Also, if the data is outdated and the current average usage is much higher, when will AT&T adjust their data cap to reflect the increased usage?

I am unable to get UVerse where I live and unfortunately I am unable to get any internet provider other than satellite which is impossible to use for gaming.  I would appreciate an answer as to when I can expect an increase in the data cap or at least a reference to the current data usage of their customers.

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

9 years ago

Tomato by Shibby will show exactly how much data is being passed through the router from AT&T and which devices are using it.  If they can show that they aren't using as much data that AT&T says they are using, they have a good chance of getting a credit.  However, if a device that they own is using all of that data or if someone is illegally connected to their network, it will show that as well.

As far as the AT&T reseller is concerned, I have no idea how that works.  Maybe there is some legal requirement for them to provide their access to resellers.  It has been going on for a while with local ISPs, though.  If you have a local ISP, chances are they are just a reseller using one of the major networks like AT&T's.  Do a local search for your area such as "AT&T reseller (city)" or "ISP (city)" and hopefully you'll find another DSL source without data caps.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Im in the same boat as many of you. I'm extremely upset about this.. The only thing that ATT is concerned about is profit. Since we have no choice (cant upgrade to uverse not available here) They know there going to make more money on this very bad idea that came from the bean counters. Att has got so far away from customer serve its not even part of there vocabulary anymore profits and stock prices are..They knew they had customers that could not upgrade and would get stuck paying through the nose for this...Im so unhappy with ATT its not even funny. All I can do now is to fill out out every servery I get from them as 0 that is what I will do from now on since that is the only thing I can do. I will be sure to pass this info off to the rest of my family if they don't already know that Capping the data on downloads is just plain stupid.. I'm sure they all will have the same response as I have to this money grabbing Monopoly scam. I would be so upset If I had alternatives but I don't ATT is the only provider we have they also know this as well... very upset customer

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

To add I have Netflix so I cant even watch 1 movie I would use all my data in 1hr thats it for the month... how stupid is that

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

9 years ago

If Obama gets his way, having the internet classified the same as telephone
service and therefore regulated as part of the governments net neutrality
demands, we will end up getting screwed either way. I can attest
personally how bad ATT is as I have relatives who work for them. The only
thing ATT cares about is the dollar. And it will do whatever it takes to
make more dollars. I pay about $50 a month in fines for exceeding the
bandwidth limit. 😉

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Just found a replacemt to ATT Netzero can do 6mbps max no contract unlimited data... I will be switching over when contract ends in a few months..

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

You do not actually receive 6Mbps if you calculate out the 150GB cap used over a 30 day period.  You actually receive 0.463Mbps which is way lower than what is advertised.  Essentially you can down load up to 150GBs at 6Mbps but then AT&T will charge you way more.  

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=150+GBs+over+30+days

AT&T's goal is to have you pay for the media content that you are streaming that they are not able to collect on.  My suggestion is that you see if you are eligable to upgrade to business class DSL for a few dollars more to avoid the data cap.  This however may vary based on your location as AT&T sells services differently based on where you live.  

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

Well, AT&T turned the DSL data usage meter back on and I am guessing no more going over limit without an extra charge. (as far as I know, the u-verse data limit is still unenforced.)

Did the report, just as a lark as all I got in the past was an error message. Except now, it appears it IS in fact working.

Not really sure how accurate their reporting is compared to my netmeter reporting, but we shall see.

Anyways, thought I'd give a heads up to the folks still on DSL who were taking it for granted we had a free ride still, so as not to set yourself up for significant over limit charges. (10 bucks for each 50 gigs over 150, and no, they do not roll over into the next billing cycle.)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

It will be too late. I'm leaving after 15 years+ with att internet. I have been waiting for 5 years for versa in Jackson, Tn. not a small middle of no where city, but where I live no u-verse. Now I find out that I have a 150 g limit. I'm changing to Charter, cheaper, higher speed, no limit. Att doesn't care. It amounts to a rate increase w/o having to apply.

Scholar

• 

109 Messages

9 years ago

After being an AT&T customer for years, I have finally had enough of them and I did the switch. I am using Suddenlink internet now and boy is it so much faster and the data cap is alot higher than AT&T's data cap. I'm so glad I did the switch. No more stressing out over data overage charges anymore for this happy camper.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Where are you located. I don't think that service is available around here.

@4mygrls wrote:

After being an AT&T customer for years, I have finally had enough of them and I did the switch. I am using Suddenlink internet now and boy is it so much faster and the data cap is alot higher than AT&T's data cap. I'm so glad I did the switch. No more stressing out over data overage charges anymore for this happy camper.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.